Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 legacy outback manual, new to me, unknown miles, some known quirks/issues.

Why when I put it in reverse do I rocketship backwards even though I barely give it enough gas to keep from stalling?

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback wagon 2.5l auto- 316050 miles and currently dying. Ask about cheap parts
66 Posts
Possibly a long shot, maybe one of the other more educated member can chime in here, but perhaps is a TPS issue? From my understanding, our transmissions rely on TPS input signal, which tends to cause a lot of issues.

Other than that, I can't say. Best of luck with your issue though, hope you resolve it soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
You do realize the reverse gear is normally much lower ratio (higher numerically) than 1st (forward) gear, right? This is why in some cases you can get up a hill in reverse that you can't in 1st.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
To boldly back away from where no Subaru has gone before

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, Thanks for the replies. The car is mostly a plaything and is not something I plan on fixing. I am adjusting to it and learning how to back up quickly well (as of yet not hitting house, garage, or other parked cars.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haha, doing better then my first Subaru. I bought a 95 legacy L wagon cheep due to my Mazda 3 being repo'ed after my fiance and I both got let go from the same company. Loved that car but after 7 months my reverse went out completely. I drove it that way for over 3 years every day and only just junked it a few months ago after buying a 98 outback. I would have been grateful for it to have reverse, too fast or not. Thought I would give perspective, as long as it moves forward it is still a Subaru and will go though just about anything lol

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
450 Posts
For reference the '99 manual Outback gear ratios are (1/2/3/4/5//R):
3.545/2.111/1.448/1.088/0.871//3.333
Thus, I'd expect it to only be a bit more touchy in reverse than forward/1st. Might just feel faster since you're used to seeing things go the other way :-D

(I like having a service manual around:rolleyes:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts