Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium with Eyesight
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Outback 2.5i is 175 hp and is rated to tow 2700 lbs. The Forester 2.5i is 170 hp and is only rated to tow 1500 lbs. What allows the Outback to tow so much more?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Different platform. The Forester is a boxy body on the Impreza platform. Weight and suspension plays a big role in the Numbers.

The Legacy sits on a bigger heavier platform there for higher tow ratings.

For a few yrs the Forester sat on the old Legacy platform and was rated 2400lbs. At the big redesign it moved back to the Impreza platform. Toyota Rav4 went through a similar thing 3200lbs to 1500 lighter smaller more efficient platform. Its a trend of the cuv market lighter more efficient lower tow ratings.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Short answer: Stronger rear chassis structure and longer wheelbase in the Outback.

Long answer: Ask Subaru.
From the length of the answers, you have it backwards. ;)

Reactions: Misterruby

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Why is a Jeep Cherokee rated differently that a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Different vehicles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
The Outback 2.5i is 175 hp and is rated to tow 2700 lbs. The Forester 2.5i is 170 hp and is only rated to tow 1500 lbs. What allows the Outback to tow so much more?
wait until the Forester gets on the global platform later this year.

and not on the old impreza platform.

the global platform makes all that get on it the best ever, stronger more ridged and ...and a lot nicer to ride in .

Reactions: TheRealToddster

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,454 Posts
Agree. Weight and wheelbase are driving factors in stability. Many other factors also influence, but even 2D Jeeps are limited to 2K lbs tow capacity due to the short wheelbase. And they are 4K lbs curb weight.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
If you read the "fine print" the (2016) OB's towing capacity drops to 1350 lbs if towing in prolonged grades. I don't know if a similar restriction applies to the Forester or not.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you read the "fine print" the (2016) OB's towing capacity drops to 1350 lbs if towing in prolonged grades. I don't know if a similar restriction applies to the Forester or not.
This is fluids capacity and cooling related. X load on running gear and engine for X time heat saturation of the fluids oil and coolant, AT fluid and max cooling capacity at X outside temp.

Which case unless the Forester gets the upgraded cvt with sililar fluid capacity and similar air flow / cooling capacity mechanically it might be OK for higher ratings but Wheel
Base stability can’t be fixed and as pointed out by the Jeep wheel base length is a big factor in tow ratings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts