Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was prepping to replace my valve cover gaskets and happened to notice this hole in the intake. Is something supposed to plug in here? It looks like it came from the factory this way and the previous owner was an elderly woman so I doubt it's some diy cob-job...

It's upstream of the air filter so I'm not particularly worried about it, just curious is all.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
905 Posts
Good to see you have one to I thought someone had done a dodgy on mine. (breathes sigh of releif). As for it's purpose I have no idea.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
It could be when you are going fast and let off the gas they needed to not build up pressure in the intake tract, maybe there was a small glitch when you put your foot back on the gas.

Or, maybe they found the first part of the intake was prone to clogging with snow and that lets enough air in so you can drive.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Never saw that on any line of Subaru before now. No idea. It is the size of a "push in" air temp sensor you see on GM and Ford though.

·
Registered
'00 & '01 OBW 2.5, AT, '95 jeep yj with galvanized frame, detroit locker, Super 35 axle kit, 4.88 gears, 2.5 5spd, 1964 Austin Healey Sprite basket case that will someday be subie powered
29 Posts
My '01 outback 2.5 a/t has this as well. Probably for warmer engine compartment air. I dunno. Been wondering about this myself!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I think it may be part of the noise reduction tuning on the stock setup. I recently did an intake mod and after it was in place I noticed a very strong puffing pulse coming from the hole at idle. There was no obvious strong pulse like that with the stock intake plumbing in place. The hole is nowhere near big enough to make up for a snow plugged intake horn, and it doesn't have any tubing for a positive feed of warm air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts