Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Legacy and am able to switch the map to night mode. But I can't on the 2020 Outback. Am I missing something or is this just an oversight by TT?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,672 Posts
Because Subaru and TomTom are technologically inept and relics from the early 2000’s.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,257 Posts
How helpful. Especially to blame TomTom for any perceived hardware issue.
@PaulB67 - hope to see something here definitive about this wrt 2020 models because I haven't been able to find instructions for this. From what I've been able to gather there are some odd things that factor in. One is that if the dash light illumination control is all the way up, it won't go/stay into night mode. One notch down/lower in illumination should eliminate that factor. Another I've seen is that in some years, there is an option to have this controlled by the headlights - if not on, no night mode. However, that was on models that were about 3 years old so I don't know if it applies to Gen6. I don't do much driving these days because of Covid, and even less at night, but I am interested in learning how to control this as I know those nights will come.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Let’s break this down.

1. I’m blaming Tom Tom for sucking at the one thing they are supposed to do navigation. Literally, they had ONE job and have had their asses handed to them by everyone in that industry. They are the short bus of navigation.
2. I blame Subaru for partnering with Tom Tom.
3. Neither one of the companies could properly code themselves out of a paper sack as has been demonstrated.

Finally, you think this is a hardware issue. How precious, LMFAO.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,257 Posts
Glad to entertain you. Seems you are easily amused though.
I guess it's software only then, in spite of the function being over-ridden by the illumination control on the dash.
Must be nice to be able to be so smug about things.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring (Canadian, so Premium I guess?)
141 Posts
As stated before, play around with your headlight selector to see if that changes anything, not just “auto”. The last few days I’ve noticed that when turning on my headlights during the day (foggy/low vis conditions) that the Google Maps on Car Play turns to night mode, despite it being mid-day.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,605 Posts
You can separate the brightness of the big screen from the rheostat for the dash lights. That's what I did so that I could make the screen brighter both day and night than it would be otherwise, much easier for older eyes to see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This should be a really basic thing as it is getting GPS data which will have exact sunrise and sunset times for your location, no cell data needed. My BMW motorcycle Nav does this, my Garmin Zumo GPS does this, there is no special hardware needed it should simply use the data it has access to being a satellite and knowing where on the planet you are. I would simply say this is a Tom Tom issue.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This should be a really basic thing as it is getting GPS data which will have exact sunrise and sunset times for your location, no cell data needed. My BMW motorcycle Nav does this, my Garmin Zumo GPS does this, there is no special hardware needed it should simply use the data it has access to being a satellite and knowing where on the planet you are. I would simply say this is a Tom Tom issue.
This (y)

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT 2.4 Turbo white
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Legacy and am able to switch the map to night mode. But I can't on the 2020 Outback. Am I missing something or is this just an oversight by TT?
There is a dashboard brightness knob by your left knee. Turn it one notch down from it's lowest setting and wallah.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT 2.4 Turbo white
10 Posts
There is a Dashboard brightness knob by your left knee. Turn this down one notch in whalla...

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a Dashboard brightness knob by your left knee. Turn this down one notch in whalla...
Exactly -- what he said.

I freaked out at first when the map in the cabin was brighter than oncoming high beams. This is the simple fix.

Turn that knob just a single notch and auto-dimming and auto night mode become active. Factoring in exterior brightness, the car knows to dim the controls, including switching the map to night mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts