Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but it really is ..if you do some offroad driving your rear will dig everything mud , sand, dirt, grass, leaves, you name it. everything goes inside there. but why ? or my rear bumper broken? but i dont see how it could not dig when its have shape as that excavator digger

looks like this

if that empty space would be closed maybe it would be ok. but now when bumper touch something on angle or just if something in their way it will dig all and keep it inside ... :surprise:
in winter i find there snow with salt , in forest i found there mud , dirt and grass, worse is when something wet is there and its not fall off itself so it could sit there for ages until you check there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
the painted cover rusts its own mounting brackets too. plastic bumper beam underneath and its steel mounting seem really great though.

If you got a used bumper cover,...I think it would make for a nice bucket for a dragline type excavator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragline_excavator

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so maybe i'm missing some metal part there . any pics how it should be in rear with that bumper ?
thats how i excavate :

..then later i find some flowers growing inside bumper ... joking haha. :grin2:
i can't find any pics of how that part should look . google can't find me any. best thing i found is from hitch instalation pics but i found just US model. and they have diff bumper .

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i could put there some metal peace like if its missing . i like how US bumpers are at that place. they nice and straight, not like ours EU ones.

i guess noone taking pictures of that part of car. my best guess its to go to scrapyard and to find not rusted my model car and just look for myself

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,558 Posts
In the US, NHTSA mandates that we have some crash-worthiness (5 MPH) for every vehicle delivered, and the burden falls disproportionally on bumpers to achieve it. I'm not sure of the EU.

Off-road related geometry such as approach and depart angles, internal bumper geometry, open vs. closed construction, etc. is all secondary. This is a vehicle intended for some off-road use, but the fact that the bottom isn't armored should tell you something right there.

Once a vehicle is qualified, manufacturers would be loath to change anything.

I suppose that's why the secondary market has sprung up to address such needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts