Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around LA it's very rare for me to see an OBS with stock alloy or aftermarket wheels. The majority I see have black steel wheels and no hubcaps. I'm not talking about the "ricer" look with 285 width tires on a 6" steel wheel to get the "drag racer" look. I'm talking about bone stock OBS's with just no hubcaps.

Are the Suby hubcaps so ugly, everyone takes them off?
are the suby hubcaps so cheap, they fall off on their own?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hub caps are evil, they fly off as soon as you hit a pothole.

When my wife bought steel wheels for her winter tires, I told here not bother with hub caps as she would quickly lose them on our dirt road.

Which remidns me, now that her car is a write-off, we have a nice set of brand new 16" alloy wheels in the shed! So she won't need to go for steelies when she buys another RS.

BTW, here in Canada all Imprezas come with 16" alloys standard this year.

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
sduford said:
Hub caps are evil, they fly off as soon as you hit a pothole.
No! Spinners are evil! :jester:

One of my buddies from Iowa had one of those things come of some jacked up Suburban, bounce off the interstate and go right through his windshield :eek: Scary situation, but as I always say... "Only in Iowa!" And yes it would be only in Iowa where some neck in a jacked up 4x4 jimmy rigs some spinners on his 33's and the come flying off when he's driving down I-29 :rolleyes:

{Sorry if I've offended any Iowa folk, but its only natural for us Illinois boys to rip on ya'll and vice versa :)}

·
Registered
181 Posts
edit: for you Brian..:D

Subaru wheel covers have some weird clips behind them to secure them to the wheel. Some of them have to be twisted off a little to be taken off. If the shop or the owner does not know this and in order to, say, rotate the tires they take them off by prying, they will break off the clips and the spring wire behind it almost 100% of the time. Then when they put them back with the broken clips and the tension wire + 1 bump or pothole = bye bye wheel cover...:(

My OBS's wheel covers were on pretty securely, but I wanted to lighten the weight, so i bought a used set of 15" Legacy SLi alloys. I had good tires and didn't want to buy new tires, so I stuck with the 15" size. The guy who swapped the wheels and the tires, sure enough, broke at least one clip on each and every wheel cover. Right now they are on top of my 15" stock steelies towering in my basement. Let me see if I can find any pics of the wheels I got. Since my car is Silverthorne metallic, they look rather nice on there.

Attachments

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Those stockers look good. And by the way, guys... let's get the proper terminology going here. They are 'wheel covers' not hub caps!!!!;)

Hub caps are the little dust protectors over the ends of the axles. (over the hub!) Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ok, Mr "i love drivin in snow cuz it's the ONLY time my slug can light em up" Green.....i think it has more to do with the greater torque at the wheels (as you know, most of We OBS Owners drive Manual transmissions, so the power doesn't all get lost in the deep dark Okefenokee swamp of ATF) not being held down by all that Road Holding Weight...they just get flung off due to the sheer violence of the acceleration.

or maybe the space aliens are stealin em. or the XT owners, trying to like like they are Of The People rather than the arrogant elitists they are?:p

·
Registered
181 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Those stockers look good. And by the way, guys... let's get the proper terminology going here. They are 'wheel covers' not hub caps!!!!;)

Hub caps are the little dust protectors over the ends of the axles. (over the hub!) Brian
Thanks.:D

I bought 5 of those for $200 from a guy on the USMB. Fifth one is in the basement, but I want to get a cheap tire on it to take with me as a full-size spare to my TSD's. We can't screw up the mileage measurements due to a donut now, can we?:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I broke 3 out of four, so instead of having one, I have none.

Shameful solicitation:
If anyone knows where I can get a set of 15" alloys like the ones tbert posted a picture of, or any 15" alloys at all that have at least 50mm offset and are 5x100, let me know! I need something cheap for a set of rally tires!
I found multiple sets of 16" alloys off wrx's for cheap, but no one makes 16" rally tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
erikkellison
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing