Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I read once that running with distilled water and an additive provides better cooling than any coolant.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Man, that looks like those fins are still there, just all bent together with pliers. Do you suppose someone made the "overheating-engine" happen on purpose?

Why would someone bend the impeller blades in like that? They do appear to be intact, just bent inwardly, is this false? Are they really worn that much?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Man, that looks like those fins are still there, just all bent together with pliers. Do you suppose someone made the "overheating-engine" happen on purpose?

Why would someone bend the impeller blades in like that? They do appear to be intact, just bent inwardly, is this false? Are they really worn that much?
My car uses heavy water. :p

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They rusted so much that the steel became so thin, that the pressure of the water flow peeled them inwards, and busted off a couple. Read the discussion- the OP said he could easily bend the vanes back and forth and break them off with his fingers.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ahhh,

I see, I completely understand, now!
The metal fins thinned to the point of catastrophic-failure!

I know cavitation can occur in certain fluids under certain velocities, and, under certain circumstances. Cavitation will typically result in the eating away of components which are immersed within the agitated (boiling-type) water. I wonder how much antifreeze prevents cavitation and how much of this could be related to cavitation.

I know in hydronic boiler systems, the system is a closed system, and after a while a lot of the oxygen is removed from the water, thus making it like black sludge, which still works fine within the boiler vessel and within hydronic heating baseboards, radiators, etc. I suppose, though, the fact that the car typically has an open-design, being open to the radiator canister could account for oxygen constantly being dispersed within the water for the entire cooling system whereas a boiler has an Extrol tank which is a diaphragm tank which takes up the necessary space of the expanding water as it is heated and pushes that water back into the closed system as the water contracts, taking up less space as it cools.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Frozen coolant would probably trash a water pump pretty good as well. The only pump I had fail was on my Ford. The bearing was failing and metal shaving were all over the engine compartment. It made a horrible noise as well. I just turned on the heat full blast and drove it home. I wonder if this pump was making any noise from the fins coming in contact with the housing? The pump on my H6 was just starting to weep when I replaced the timing chain.

-Tim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, as well as blowing out the freeze plugs and possibly cracking the block!:(
Bursting hoses, breaking the thermostat, destroying the radiator which would probably be the first to go.

Yeah, I think there are loads of reason to run a proper mixture of distilled water and ethylene glycol.

-Tim

·
Registered
832 Posts
Don't forget that cavitation causes the rapid collapse of the bubbles created and that slam of water against the impeller is what causes the degredation of the material. Like someone else noted that the anti-freeze may help but the minerals in regular tap water doesn't help!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Heh. Funny to see my reddit post reposted here. I posted this pic a couple of months ago on this board, and I thought it would be interesting to the folks on that subreddit. I still have that water pump just because it was so crazy. It's part of my gallery of absurd failures, along with my '97 Outback clutch fork that shattered at the pivot point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
KarlGustav
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing