Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of
this feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
What is this? The speedometer and tachometer going from 0 to max? If so, good question. I disabled mine from doing that, it was annoying.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thoughtful or gimmick? Seems silly to me

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a visual confirmation that your gauge needles are functional and have a full range of motion.

Oh. Never heard of that being an issue in any car ever. Is that a Subaru issue?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
Never heard of that being an issue in any car ever.
Old-technology analog gauge movements didn't have issues with zero-point alignment on power up, but modern stepper-motor gauge movements can. Besides the "gee whiz" effect, the full-scale pointer sweep on power up ensures that stepper-motor movements are initialized properly.

On a more mundane level, stepper-motor gauges were first introduced on high-dollar automobiles about 25 years ago. The fancy full-scale sweep may serve a secondary function as advertising that a mid-line car like the Legacy/Outback now incorporates the same high-end technology.

·
Registered
2016 OB Premium with Eyesight
534 Posts
To show it goes to 11.
>:)

I recall certain domestic trucks did the same thing with their gauges on diesel models. Helped to time the glowplugs when the "official" glowplug ready light burned out.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
Is it a good idea to run an initial power-up diagnostic / calibration / functional verification on important indicators to assure they operate properly? Yes, for the reason that @ammcinnis noted.

Is it necessary to have a menu selection for (I presume) repeating this operation at any other time that further complicates an already complicated menu system? Probably not.

But it's pretty typical of Japanese design practice.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
If the sweep was necessary for calibration/verification, they wouldn't let you turn it off. The gauge sweep on startup is a whiz bang "isn't this cool" feature that I leave off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts