Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up a post a while ago about a rattling noise that was coming from the front (right) of my car when I drove over bumps. (Lots os bumpy roads in Kent--kind of annoying). It sounded like a very metallic rattling, so I assumed that it was the heat shield which has rattled incessantly for 20,000 miles when accellerating. But the noise started doing it as I was just cruising. It sounded like something was loose and rattling around underneath the front of the car. I knew the front struts needed replaced because there was significant nose-dive and it offered little resistence when pressing down on the front. So I had the front struts replaced assuming it would take care of this issue. When struts go bad they can create a lot of racket. I had my Subaru dealer replace the struts, but the sound is still persisting.
Trends with the noise:
1.) There is a metallic rattling when going over bumps.
2.) There is a rattling underneath the car even over smooth roads-but it isn't consistent. It will do it off and on. Sounds like something is loose.
3.) The sound stops if I'm cornering-both noises.
4.) The sounds stop when I press on the brakes.
5.) There is also that high pitched warning siren when the pads are low that can be heard as I'm driving.

I had new front pads put on not long ago and had them inspected. They are fine.
My front rotors were machined, but the noise is still there.
With all of the front work they have done in the past 5,000 miles, if it was just loose callipers, wouldn't they have noticed that?

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heat Shield

I know that you mentioned that you checked the heat shield, but check again. It may be the upper or lower part of the heat shield on the catalytic converter if it is coming apart. Like I said, be sure to check the upper part of the heat shield. I hope this helps. I had a similar problem like this on my Jeep.

Kurt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Within a month of owning my 200 Outback it was making weird rattling noises. It turned out I had a blown strut. Luckily, it was under warranty. Don't know if that helps you or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Kimbina
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing