Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Wifi Hot spot in my Subaru so that all passengers (and driver) can access Wifi with their smart phones without eating their dataplan!
Used rechargeable D-Link (DIR 506L) wireless hotspot with Verizon USB760 pay-as-you-go (novatel) modem. Attached with all weather transparent on/off 3M Scotch Brand velcro tape to the rear side window for better reception. That way, regardless of the cell phone carrier (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint,T-mobile and others) you have Wifi access to your mobile phones as well as PC. If you need to re-charge the D-Link you can either remove it from the window and re-charge at home or you can plug in the mini-usb cord from the cigarette outlet plug that is in the back of the car. I found that one charge lasts for about 18 to 20 hours.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Had no idea anyone was making a battery powered router that didn't already have the cellular radio in it. I picked up an all-in-one mobile hotspot for about $20 used. No special mounting tricks, it seems to get plenty of reception buried in my briefcase in the back.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Nice idea, and with that type of aircard router you can change carriers, but that setup especially mounted in that fashion just screams 'smash and grab me!' if you're parked for more than a couple of minutes with it there and you away from the car.

The nice little hotspot devices like rasterman speaks of - cellular radio built in - would be a bit easier to hide. I'd mount it in the middle of the car on the headliner, or even above the headliner. You'd just need to make a hole of some sort to access the power button or switch. Wouldn't be too hard to work out a built in charging cord. Another nice feature of mounting it like that would be helping the hotspot propagate better inside the car and less outside of it.

Also, be sure of the numbers before you think that method is a savings. Even pay as you go might not be any cheaper or possibly more expensive than using your data plan directly. What it would be nicest for is wifi-only devices.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I doubt there's enough demand for mobile routers that someone would break in for it. On the other hand, it fairly screams "wifi iPad on board!" and there certainly is demand there.

I remember reading about some thieves who would cruise the parking lots of amusement parks with a Bluetooth equipped laptop, and use it to locate other Bluetooth signals. the point was to figure out which cars had nice laptops in their trunks, and apparently it worked well enough...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thieves don't usually steal stuff to keep and use, they steal it to sell or trade it. If it looks valuable to them, they'll steal it. Only 5 years ago, I saw a car that had been broken into because someone saw a computer in it. The computer was an old beige tower circa 1998, CRT monitor an all. They still stole it. Probably worth $50 at best all included, but 1.) they didn't know that 2.) its still $50 they didn't have.
(Probably for their habit.)

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Euchre

I did the math, especially if you have 4 to 5 teeangers in a car, all with different plans, what do you think they do? Are you saying you will not see the savings right there?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt there's enough demand for mobile routers that someone would break in for it. On the other hand, it fairly screams "wifi iPad on board!" and there certainly is demand there.

I remember reading about some thieves who would cruise the parking lots of amusement parks with a Bluetooth equipped laptop, and use it to locate other Bluetooth signals. the point was to figure out which cars had nice laptops in their trunks, and apparently it worked well enough...
Maybe in your neck of the woods... but not here, where I live.... IQ of local thieves is marginal....

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had no idea anyone was making a battery powered router that didn't already have the cellular radio in it. I picked up an all-in-one mobile hotspot for about $20 used. No special mounting tricks, it seems to get plenty of reception buried in my briefcase in the back.
The mounting does not have to be, where I have it. It can be anywhere in the car! Not to mention that you can take the Verizon USB modem with you, same as you take your wallet, cell phone, i-pod, portable GPS and such..... But, even if it's stolen only you can access the data on it.
Then again, who would look at the rear (heavily tinted) window and notice anything mounted there?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice idea, but I'm a lost on how you get the savings because going up a step for more data in our Verizon plan and the plan in general is less money than the prepaid mobile broadband they offer.

My assumptions here include a phone with hotspot option and up to date Verizon plan where you can add 2 GB for little money when you need it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nice idea, but I'm a lost on how you get the savings because going up a step for more data in our Verizon plan and the plan in general is less money than the prepaid mobile broadband they offer.

My assumptions here include a phone with hotspot option and up to date Verizon plan where you can add 2 GB for little money when you need it.
Not that the OP has it or not, but some of us still have unlimited data air cards. :)

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not that the OP has it or not, but some of us still have unlimited data air cards. :)
There are times I wish I'd kept my unlimited vzw card, but the location where I needed it the most became badly oversubscribed. Unlimited wasn't valuable at sub-dialup speeds.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There are times I wish I'd kept my unlimited vzw card, but the location where I needed it the most became badly oversubscribed. Unlimited wasn't valuable at sub-dialup speeds.
The pay as you go are not unlimited, and phone purchases force new contracts. Sorry if I didn't state that assumption.

I also focus on the phone because leading phones are "4g" and get firmware updates that in some cases keeps them best of breed products.

It's a neat idea regardless but in my world I'd give Verizon an extra $10 a month a few times a year and work out who's turn to be the hot spot.

What's done here gives me a smile regardless because putting that USB modem and the little router together is the way my brain would work if I already had them.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Verizon Share Everything plan at the 6 GB level allows you to turn on the hotspot on your smartphone at no extra cost (beyond the cost to upgrade to the 6 GB plan). That's $80/month plus $40 per smartphone. The web site doesn't specify the 6GB level needed, maybe they've changed it...

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wrong assumption imwjl.
I don't have a data service with Verizon. I have a service with AT&T. As stated in my original post, this configuration works with any Carrier. You get nationwide access to your mobile hot-spot with Verizon and then you can use ANY cell phone Carrier to use this wireless hot-spot!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Verizon Share Everything plan at the 6 GB level allows you to turn on the hotspot on your smartphone at no extra cost (beyond the cost to upgrade to the 6 GB plan). That's $80/month plus $40 per smartphone. The web site doesn't specify the 6GB level needed, maybe they've changed it...
Read above - I don't have a data service nor account with Verzion.... Verzion pay-as-you go, as I have outlined, gets you access to the WiFi D-Link device. From there, you can use any Carrier and any data plan that you have with your Carrier, not necessarily just Verizon.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Euchre

I did the math, especially if you have 4 to 5 teeangers in a car, all with different plans, what do you think they do? Are you saying you will not see the savings right there?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I'd have to know what kind of situation you're dealing with. I do know that no contract data devices tend to be pretty steep in cost per gb, if you're going to use them on a consistent basis. If you're using it less often, the playing field starts to level out.

If everyone is on the same account, then you need to look at the plan they are all using. I've seen more than once where a rep somewhere got paid per 'feature' added to a plan, so configured an insanely expensive and convoluted plan to get a much larger commission. Used to be a common practice with text plans - $20 unlimited per user on all lines instead of $30 unlimited once to cover everyone.

The new shared data plans on ATT and Verizon include hotspot from the get-go, on phones that support it. Adding a hotspot device is pretty cheap too. Since you are pulling from one bucket of data allotment, and you can adjust that month by month, its a lot easier to just do things that way to provide wifi for devices that cant live on the plan directly.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd have to know what kind of situation you're dealing with. I do know that no contract data devices tend to be pretty steep in cost per gb, if you're going to use them on a consistent basis. If you're using it less often, the playing field starts to level out.

If everyone is on the same account, then you need to look at the plan they are all using. I've seen more than once where a rep somewhere got paid per 'feature' added to a plan, so configured an insanely expensive and convoluted plan to get a much larger commission. Used to be a common practice with text plans - $20 unlimited per user on all lines instead of $30 unlimited once to cover everyone.

The new shared data plans on ATT and Verizon include hotspot from the get-go, on phones that support it. Adding a hotspot device is pretty cheap too. Since you are pulling from one bucket of data allotment, and you can adjust that month by month, its a lot easier to just do things that way to provide wifi for devices that cant live on the plan directly.
We have a family plan (AT&T) with the minimum data plan - something like 300. We have no "share" plan and therefore we have no access to hotspot. We would have to upgrade each and every line for an additional fee per line per month. We would have to add some $ 30 per phone x 4 = 120 plus tax. We just need the hotspot when we travel - not on a year around basis. Therefore pay as you go on Verizon for some $ 30 per selected period or $ 50 per selected month and then using AT&T smart phones to hook up to that WiFi hotspot. Any way you toss it, this was by far the cheapest solution. I hear rumors someone (from Far East) will buy Sprint and offer dirt cheap rates in this country to compete with these insane Carrier that charge as they please! As it is now, all 3 major Carriers have the monopoly (similar to Airlines). There is absolutely no competition - at the end of the day, they all have same or very similar charges and fees. What a gip!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We have a family plan (AT&T) with the minimum data plan - something like 300. We have no "share" plan and therefore we have no access to hotspot. We would have to upgrade each and every line for an additional fee per line per month. We would have to add some $ 30 per phone x 4 = 120 plus tax.
Just to clear something up for you, no - you wouldn't have to do the $30 a phone. You can migrate your existing lines to the new shared data plan, which would not add $30 a line. If you mean you've got 300mb per your 4 lines, then your data cost per gb is crazy high right now. You'd probably be better served to switch to their shared data plan in that case. If you're paying for family unlimited texting, the margin gets even closer on total price.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$ 30 per phone/ per tel number / per line - it is - as per local AT&T (unless, they are just kidding... which I don't think is the case) ... I hate to deal with them ... I've already dropped their DSL services at my home and switched to Cox Cable ... AT&T is just a bunch of crooks, in my opinion anyway!
Thanks for your advice anyway....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
9 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing