Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others do. I connect my car to my phone’s hotspot occasionally just to check the software update function. I then sometimes leave WiFi enabled on the car but usually toggle it off. What’s recommended?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Just curious what others do. I connect my car to my phone’s hotspot occasionally just to check the software update function. I then sometimes leave WiFi enabled on the car but usually toggle it off. What’s recommended?
IMO, there isn't a recommendation. (1) It is only active when the car is running or the ignition is in the On position and (2) Even then, it is not like someone would be able to hijack it while you are in motion.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, there isn't a recommendation. (1) It is only active when the car is running or the ignition is in the On position and (2) Even then, it is not like someone would be able to hijack it while you are in motion.
Thanks, so really no need to turn it off, but since I’ve only used it to check for any OTA updates that may be floating around I probably will.

·
Registered
'19 Legacy Limited ('23 Legacy Touring on order)
124 Posts
I always leave my wifi on, but it's only connected to my home's network, not my phone. This way it'll check for any available updates ('19) when I start it. If there's an update I'll usually dismiss the notification because I'm in a rush but I'll know it's there and can install it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always leave my wifi on, but it's only connected to my home's network, not my phone. This way it'll check for any available updates ('19) when I start it. If there's an update I'll usually dismiss the notification because I'm in a rush but I'll know it's there and can install it when I get a chance.
There are a few reporting getting an email about a current software release so there may be a reason to check a few times in the next week, depending on what models are covered.

·
Registered
'19 Legacy Limited ('23 Legacy Touring on order)
124 Posts
There are a few reporting getting an email about a current software release so there may be a reason to check a few times in the next week, depending on what models are covered.
I think most of those are for 2020+ models. I don't think they care about the 2019s anymore lol. Doesn't matter too much to me though as I'll only have it for another 2 or so months.

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
720 Posts
Mine is on all the time. Connects to home upon arrival and my phone hotspot if needed. Last update I had on my 2019 was about a year ago (or software updates are separate to yours though).

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is on all the time. Connects to home upon arrival and my phone hotspot if needed. Last update I had on my 2019 was about a year ago (or software updates are separate to yours though).
Thanks, since there is apparently an OTA update available for our 2020s I’ll keep wifi on for now but it’s not possible to connect to our home WiFi so it would have to use the phone, and would only be used for such updates.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
690 Posts
If you're in the Apple ecosystem and use Apple Watch, keep the WiFI off as it sometimes causes minor communication issues due to a longstanding "feature" (bug) in the software. Personally, I keep it off and prefer to do updates on my Subaru via USB memory keys.

• Helpful
Reactions: StanTheMan

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
If you're in the Apple ecosystem and use Apple Watch, keep the WiFI off as it sometimes causes minor communication issues due to a longstanding "feature" (bug) in the software. Personally, I keep it off and prefer to do updates on my Subaru via USB memory keys.
Since USB has been the ONLY update option since Dec of 2020, your WiFi being on/off doesn't matter. If this update (and the April one) actually fix the OTA update issue, it may be worth leaving it on, even if just to get the notification that there is an update. You could then come here (or pay Subaru the $35) and get the update files for USB and still do it that way.

Personally, mine is always on and hooks up to my home network automatically when in range.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since USB has been the ONLY update option since Dec of 2020, your WiFi being on/off doesn't matter. If this update (and the April one) actually fix the OTA update issue, it may be worth leaving it on, even if just to get the notification that there is an update. You could then come here (or pay Subaru the $35) and get the update files for USB and still do it that way.

Personally, mine is always on and hooks up to my home network automatically when in range.
Someone in one of the other mega threads posted that he got an email about the current OTA update and installed it on his car, he mentioned it was about a 35 minute process. So I’m keeping WiFi on and just turning my phone’s hotspot on every now and then to see if anything pops up, nothing yet. The Subaru connects immediately when I do that so it’s a quick and convenient thing to do. I did not get the 4/2022 update so I’m at least one or two versions off. If they are continuing with the OTA updates it should pop up at some point.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
690 Posts
Since USB has been the ONLY update option since Dec of 2020,
For my particular Subarus, I've always used USB update. I was speaking more generally...sorry if that wasn't clear. I did try OTA early on, but for my particular vehicle head unit (different than the Outback) I decided it wasn't worth sitting in the driveway idling just to keep the connection. With the USB update, I just do it when I have to run an arrange that I know will take about 15-20 minutes of run time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Are the OTA updates sequential or cumulative? For instance, if you are at a given update state where you need 2 releases, do you need to install both in proper order, or would installing the lastest include all previous updates. That is the way many operating systems update.

I have also heard an unverified claim that the OTA updates is not always as comprehensive as the downloaded USB-stick process. If this is true, is it possible the OTA is a delta update of only that which was changed?

So far I have not done any myself, but have had the dealer do it as part of the 6 month maintenance and oil changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts