Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up my Geyser Blue Wilderness from the dealership. After spending some time in it, here are some of my observations and opinions - Note that I’m coming from a Crosstrek, so some of these items may not be news to existing Outback owners:
  • There’s not as much body roll as I thought. It drives and handles very well
  • The “ECO” gauge at the top of the colour screen in the gauge cluster can be changed. That’s super handy.
  • The side mirrors are smaller than I expected.
  • The back of the rear seats are not cloth, but hard plastic. Makes me almost regret getting the rear seat back protectors
  • The seats are a lot more comfortable than the Crosstrek, lumbar adjustment makes a huge difference
  • I got the Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade. The audio is WAY better than the Crosstrek. Not sure if its because its an Outback or of the RF upgrade. Either way, I love it.
  • Having such a large screen for CarPlay is awesome
  • Its 32 C in Toronto today. I have no complaints about the StarTex seats
  • The Wireless charging space for your phone is hilariously small.
  • Map lights are LED. All the other lights (except for the one of the liftgate) are regular bulbs
  • The accessory Thule Crossbar looks like they are the 50” version
  • Auto headlights are far more sensitive than on the Crosstrek.
Anyways, here’s a couple photos. The car is at a shop right now getting some Xpel PPF installed. So my pictures of the car are kinda limited. Don’t worry, I plan on taking more. Keep an eye out for a Journal entry too.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,492 Posts
Auto headlights are far more sensitive than on the Crosstrek.
The sensitivity can be adjusted using the Infotainment system screen

The back of the rear seats are not cloth, but hard plastic. Makes me almost regret getting the rear seat back protectors
That may be a Canada thing, a Startex thing (meaning the Onyx would have had that also) or a Wilderness thing. It looks like the Limited, Touring and Premium models have "carpet" (insulting the word 'carpet' there) on the backs.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium (sold) ‘22 Wilderness OTW
61 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for the feedback. The GB is such a interesting color. Every photograph I see, it looks a little different. Anxious to see it in person.

I had the Rockford upgrade on my premium, but the dealer didn’t list it as an option when I ordered my wilderness. I wish we could get the HK. That’s my biggest complaint.

It was advertised that the back of the rear seats of the Wilderness model would be treated with a tougher material. I also ordered the seat back protectors just to be safe and I like the look.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
66 Posts
Today I picked up my Geyser Blue Wilderness from the dealership. After spending some time in it, here are some of my observations and opinions . . . .
Agree with your comments -- liking my OBW more each mile I drive it. Have fun with yours!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium (sold) ‘22 Wilderness OTW
61 Posts
I like everything but the wheels. Every angle they look undersized and puny.
I think it needs a bit more rubber around it. They’re running the P225/65 R17. Same size as the premium. I would think they could have done a slightly bigger tire with the extra space.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I like everything but the wheels. Every angle they look undersized and puny.
It’s funny how different our perspectives can be. I like the wheels because the tires retain more sidewall due to being higher profile. To me that looks functional because I assume the greater sidewall provides more flex over rocks before pinching a hole between the rim and the rock. I also assume the taller sidewall will allow me to lower the pressure more for a greater footprint off pavement.

I don’t think there’s a correct view for this, just our different preferences!

Howard

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,216 Posts
The Onyx (USA) has the cloth/carpet on the back of the rear seats. Could you take a photo of the hard plastic rear seat backs? Wonder if it could be retrofitted on other models?

Reactions: David in Norcal

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it only canada that offers the rockford fosgate audio upgrade? I've asked my dealer here and they said thatharmon kardon was the only audio upgrade (which I saw him clearly reading from the onyx package lol)
Should be available. AFAIK, the audio system in the Wilderness is no different than the 6-speaker non-HK system in any other Outback

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Onyx (USA) has the cloth/carpet on the back of the rear seats. Could you take a photo of the hard plastic rear seat backs? Wonder if it could be retrofitted on other models?
I shall, once I get the car back from the shop doing the PPF install.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
The rear seat back material was mentioned in several of those reviews people posted. And in the press release.

“In the cargo area, the rear seatback is wrapped in a waterproof material, and a waterproof rear cargo tray protects the load floor.”

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness GB
19 Posts
Today I picked up my Geyser Blue Wilderness from the dealership. After spending some time in it, here are some of my observations and opinions - Note that I’m coming from a Crosstrek, so some of these items may not be news to existing Outback owners:
  • The “ECO” gauge at the top of the colour screen in the gauge cluster can be changed. That’s super handy.
  • The back of the rear seats are not cloth, but hard plastic. Makes me almost regret getting the rear seat back protectors
  • The seats are a lot more comfortable than the Crosstrek, lumbar adjustment makes a huge difference
  • I got the Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade. The audio is WAY better than the Crosstrek. Not sure if its because its an Outback or of the RF upgrade. Either way, I love it.
  • Map lights are LED. All the other lights (except for the one of the liftgate) are regular bulbs
Anyways, here’s a couple photos. The car is at a shop right now getting some Xpel PPF installed. So my pictures of the car are kinda limited. Don’t worry, I plan on taking more. Keep an eye out for a Journal entry too.

View attachment 515681
View attachment 515682
Looks great! I plan to get a decent ceramic coat when I pick mine up. Got a quote for full ppf. $6500. No thanks. They will do partial front half (front bumper, half the hood and side mirrors) for about $2500. The ceramic coat tops out at $2500 for the full car if I want the longer lasting ceramic.

Are you getting the full car covered or just partial?

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,032 Posts

View attachment 515681
View attachment 515682
Nice review. To be honest the Crosstrek (lifted Impreza) isn't in the same league. Maybe when the Forester version hits it will be closer match

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for the feedback. The GB is such a interesting color. Every photograph I see, it looks a little different. Anxious to see it in person.

I had the Rockford upgrade on my premium, but the dealer didn’t list it as an option when I ordered my wilderness. I wish we could get the HK. That’s my biggest complaint.

It was advertised that the back of the rear seats of the Wilderness model would be treated with a tougher material. I also ordered the seat back protectors just to be safe and I like the look.
The lack of HK was the deciding factor for me going with the XT Touring. I hope I don't ever miss the full spare.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl (Mine) PP 2 , 2017 Ice Silver Outback Limited (Wife's)
183 Posts
The lack of HK was the deciding factor for me going with the XT Touring. I hope I don't ever miss the full spare.
You can always pick up a full size take off to replace the compact spare. I got one off Ebay for my Limited.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl (Mine) PP 2 , 2017 Ice Silver Outback Limited (Wife's)
183 Posts
It fits? The dealer told me he didn't think it would.
Yes. The spare tire compartment is the same size for all Gen 6 Outbacks. Several others on the forum have done the same. I purchased the foam insert for the Onyx to hold the jack assembly, others have just packed the jack assembly around the spare skipping the foam insert all together.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts