Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
80 Posts
I came from a 2019 Crosstrek to a '21 Onyx, I felt the same as you. I hope you enjoy your turbo engine! Going from 152HP/145 torque to 260/270 is a big difference.

I'm glad you enjoy your RF upgrade. I suggest taking a look at SilverOnyx's Sound System thread if you want to make your sounds a little bit better. I have the RF as well, and putting Kicker Tweeter made a difference.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
735 Posts
love the color, i continue to not get the appeal of these things.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Wishing you lots of luck. I would have liked chosen the Wilderness if I was in the market. Looks great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I pick mine up tomorrow, so excited! I ordered the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, but I guess it won't be in for a few weeks. Just how bad is the stock stereo? Any way to tune it to live with it for a few weeks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pick mine up tomorrow, so excited! I ordered the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, but I guess it won't be in for a few weeks. Just how bad is the stock stereo? Any way to tune it to live with it for a few weeks?
I personally have no issues with the stock stereo and think it sounds good to me. Not sure what all the fuss is about lol

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks great! I plan to get a decent ceramic coat when I pick mine up. Got a quote for full ppf. $6500. No thanks. They will do partial front half (front bumper, half the hood and side mirrors) for about $2500. The ceramic coat tops out at $2500 for the full car if I want the longer lasting ceramic.

Are you getting the full car covered or just partial?
I got the entire hood (minus the matte decal), headlights, half the fenders, and painted portions of the front bumpers covered in Xpel PPF. Paid $1440 Canadian dollars (approx $1140 US)

Nice review. To be honest the Crosstrek (lifted Impreza) isn't in the same league. Maybe when the Forester version hits it will be closer match
Yes. I’m aware the Outback is an upgrade from the Crosstrek. I can tell, believe me. I was just making observations based off my experience.

I'm glad you enjoy your RF upgrade. I suggest taking a look at SilverOnyx's Sound System thread if you want to make your sounds a little bit better. I have the RF as well, and putting Kicker Tweeter made a difference.
Could you post a link to that sound thread? I’m having trouble finding it on the search. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: SirNickselot

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
80 Posts
I got the entire hood (minus the matte decal), headlights, half the fenders, and painted portions of the front bumpers covered in Xpel PPF. Paid $1440 Canadian dollars (approx $1140 US)

Yes. I’m aware the Outback is an upgrade from the Crosstrek. I can tell, believe me. I was just making observations based off my experience.

Could you post a link to that sound thread? I’m having trouble finding it on the search. Thanks in advance.
Here you go, buddy! Have fun :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
love the color, i continue to not get the appeal of these things.
Great looking vehicle.....love everything it offers for the price and the rugged aggressive sporty look it has. I've never owned a Subaru, would never have even guessed i'd purchase a Subaru but I ordered one in Geyser blue for the wife which we will get in August. Pretty excited about this vehicle for sure.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
looks like your crossbars are installed backwards, it should be like a raindrop.. fat part leading into the wind
Yup. That's what happens when the dealer installs them. Already flipped. I noticed it the second day when the wind noise was really pronounced. My dealership did a piss-poor PDI. There were green paint marks from the factory on my rims that I had to clean off, there was still plastic on the pedals, and the car wasn't really detailed. The rear bumper was dirty from the wheel cast off and there was dirt on the mats (I know someone has to get in and drive it but this wasn't an acceptable amount).

I got the car at a reasonable price, but I haven't seen a PDI this bad.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
735 Posts
Drive a Subaru… and you’ll own a Subaru.😎✌🏼
bought my '18 OB with 2mi on it and my fiancee' has a '21 forester sport on order- love subarus. thanks.

the cladding, bumpers, etc just make this new wilderness very unappealing BUT to each their own

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
The look of the wilderness initially seemed a little over the top but over time it looks better and better. It reminds me of how polarizing Lexus's spindle grille was when it first came out but now nobody notices. It just looks normal. Today's styling is becoming much more about projecting an attitude instead of an overall sleek look. Mazdas are sleek and I think it hurts their sales. I think the Gen 3 Outback was the most handsome design but it didn't sell well, then the Gen 4 came out (that I thought was hideous) but it sold much much better. The Gen 4 look has grown on me over time and now I like it.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,485 Posts
I got the car at a reasonable price, but I haven't seen a PDI this bad
Mine may not have been as bad as yours, but imagine my dismay when I walked out to it the first time and found it FILTHY. They had washed it the night before, parked it under/near trees and we got rain overnight with pollen still in the air. What was the solution? He ran it through the wash they use for the free weekly washes I'm entitled to and didn't even bother drying it!

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mine may not have been as bad as yours, but imagine my dismay when I walked out to it the first time and found it FILTHY. They had washed it the night before, parked it under/near trees and we got rain overnight with pollen still in the air. What was the solution? He ran it through the wash they use for the free weekly washes I'm entitled to and didn't even bother drying it!
I got you beat.
  • My car wasn't clean either.
  • I had florescent green paint from the factory on my rim,
  • they left manufacturer stickers on fog lights and tail lights
  • protective plastic wasn't removed from my steering wheel or pedals
  • They installed my crossbars backwards

I'm lucky I have detailing experience. I was able to correct all of this stuff myself. I don't trust the dealership to do it.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,485 Posts
protective plastic wasn't removed from my steering wheel or pedals
I didn't have this, but there's still a small strip across the top of the column that I keep forgetting to remove (6 weeks in), and they didn't remove the plastic from the infotainment but he claimed that was on purpose (some have a "thing" for the peel plus it keeps finger prints down until delivery). Oh - and one of the accessory items I wanted was not installed and was never noted on the PDI W/O as needing to be ordered...

·
Registered
2021 Outback XT Onyx Edition
5 Posts
The Onyx (USA) has the cloth/carpet on the back of the rear seats. Could you take a photo of the hard plastic rear seat backs? Wonder if it could be retrofitted on other models?
Yes, the Onyx rear seat backs are carpeted but it’s also got those big rubber protectors tied to the back of them. To me those are fine. I left them on along with the big rubber tray mat across the load floor. I actually like it for Home Depot runs rather than marking up the carpets. . I did put the carpeted floor mats in the passenger compartment but the rubber ones will come out for winter.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
I also have those protectors on mine but they're an optional accessory (may be in a package). I like them as well. Initial impression is that they are thin and light but they've proven to be durable.

Reactions: Engnr1

·
Registered
4 Posts
TheHozOpp1 did you pay MSRP?
The sales rep I got at my local dealer in Ontario does not want to go below MSRP on the car, options, or extended warrantee. (He had the "I know everything" sales attitude that I hate. People need to learn you get more bees with honey)
I am happy to drive anywhere in the province to get something below msrp, its that important to me in a car sale.
Thanks for reading :)

21 - 40 of 102 Posts