Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disclaimer: this is personally my first Outback. My parents own a 2017 3.6R, which I rarely drive. Previously I have owned a '20 Crosstrek, '15 BRZ, '12 STI and '11 & 04 WRX.

Considering this is supposed to be the most "rugged" and most off-road capable Subaru to date, I find it quite well mannered on the road. Acceleration is quick, especially coming from the underpowered 152 hp Crosstrek. Despite its ride height, I find it stable around corners with acceptable body roll. The cabin is quiet, although I do notice some CVT whine, but its nothing my music can't drown out. The Yokohama G015's are quiet for AT tires and have no perceivable additional noise compared to the G91 All-Season tires on the Crosstrek.

Overall I'm really happy with the car. It's not super sporty, and it would be more appropriate to be a Safety Car at the track than a participant. But for a daily commute and family hauler, its been pleasant and the amount of space it has for people and cargo alike never ceases to impress.
With my 2017 Forester, I swapped the RSB with a 20" STI one and made a big difference in terms of stability. A lot of older Outback owners also did the same swap with favorable results. Do you think the Wilderness may benefit from such a swap if possible?

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I am in BC, Canada. Did you get a quote on how much more the side applications will add?
No I didn't. As I said previously, it wasn't even a consideration of mine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are you guys being charged for insurance in Ontario for the wilderness? I just called TD and they quoted me $160/ month for the exact same coverage as my 2018 Limited which is $84/month. They state that because it’s a speciality vehicle with non-common parts, that they are unsure of exact replacement value and as such charge more.

I get every person is different in terms of insurance quotes but did anyone else’s go up by 100% when they went to a wilderness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,175 Posts
With my 2017 Forester, I swapped the RSB with a 20" STI one and made a big difference in terms of stability. A lot of older Outback owners also did the same swap with favorable results. Do you think the Wilderness may benefit from such a swap if possible?
Whiteline is coming out with a thicker adjustable rear sway bar that will fit, but it's only in the prototype stage. The STI RSB will not fit.

Before deciding if you need a stiffer rear sway bar drive the car for a while - the Wilderness sway bar is different (probably stiffer) than the regular Gen 6 outback, but all Gen 6 outbacks have 19mm hollow sway bars - the Wilderness might be less hollow. Plus the stiffer you set your sway bars at some point they reduce articulation so if your intent is serious off roading then stick with the stock bar - some people even take theirs off - or you could even go with a softer one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very nice! Can you share specifics? Wheels, tires, sizes, offset? Is that lifted more than standard?
All I know is the tires are 255/55/18. Not too happy about it. And no its not lifted any more than standard. I actually thought the wheels were 17's which is my fault for not checking. The look is awesome, but now my spare is a 17" I believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plus the stiffer you set your sway bars at some point they reduce articulation so if your intent is serious off roading then stick with the stock bar - some people even take theirs off - or you could even go with a softer one.
Point taken. I could barely noticed much difference off-road before and after my Forester 16 --> 20mm upgrade, but I was only doing logging roads to trail heads only. I am aware of people disconnecting the RSB before tackling jeep trails. But 95% of my driving is on paved road so that is important. Good to hear that Whiteline is coming through with one...hopefully without drilling.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,175 Posts
I'm a stiff sway bar advocate because I don't go off road and even if I did it wouldn't be the kind that needs much articulation. I just want ground clearance for deteriorating roads and inclement weather.

Here's a thread about making the suspension more on-road-centric:

Reactions: eelnod

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,443 Posts
All I know is the tires are 255/55/18. Not too happy about it. And no its not lifted any more than standard. I actually thought the wheels were 17's which is my fault for not checking. The look is awesome, but now my spare is a 17" I believe.
Just tell them you want the stock wheels/tires if you're not happy with it. Your oversize will make your speedometer read a little low and of course lower your mileage, but they're not that bad. Technically you would only be able to use your spare on the rear, but this oversize isn't that gross (1.6 inches greater circumference) and you could probably get away with running the spare on the front for a short distance if you had to.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
What are you guys being charged for insurance in Ontario for the wilderness? I just called TD and they quoted me $160/ month for the exact same coverage as my 2018 Limited which is $84/month. They state that because it’s a speciality vehicle with non-common parts, that they are unsure of exact replacement value and as such charge more.

I get every person is different in terms of insurance quotes but did anyone else’s go up by 100% when they went to a wilderness?
I went from a 2020 Crosstrek to a 2022 Wilderness. My insurance dropped from $2321/year ($193/mo) to $2281/year (190/mo). My insurance company told me the Outback was considered a "safer vehicle" than the Crosstrek. Obviously not by much to save me $3/mo, but every little bit helps I guess. They didn't specify anything about rarity of parts.

For reference, I am with Aviva with no at-fault accidents and no speeding tickets in the last 15 years. My registered address is in the Pickering area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from a 2020 Crosstrek to a 2022 Wilderness. My insurance dropped from $2321/year ($193/mo) to $2281/year (190/mo). My insurance company told me the Outback was considered a "safer vehicle" than the Crosstrek. Obviously not by much to save me $3/mo, but every little bit helps I guess. They didn't specify anything about rarity of parts.

For reference, I am with Aviva with no at-fault accidents and no speeding tickets in the last 15 years. My registered address is in the Pickering area.
**** insurance costs in Ontario!

·
Registered
2022 OBW, 2008 OBS
28 Posts
What’s your opinion for on road performance?
It corners flatter than I expected, but the AT tires give up well before the car does (which is okay).

Typical zero feedback electric steering, but it’s not hard to judge what the car is doing.

For being a jacked up wagon on squishy tires, the ride is surprisingly well-composed and it’s a quite adequate urban or off-road warrior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just tell them you want the stock wheels/tires if you're not happy with it. Your oversize will make your speedometer read a little low and of course lower your mileage, but they're not that bad. Technically you would only be able to use your spare on the rear, but this oversize isn't that gross (1.6 inches greater circumference) and you could probably get away with running the spare on the front for a short distance if you had to.
Yeah I told them they need to either give me the money they charged me for the wheels/tires or give me a 5th wheel just like the ones they installed. We will see where this goes, but I told them it was 100% their fault and they should have included the spare. The question will be will it fit in the spare location being bigger? If not, I could always deflate it and then inflate when needed since I carry an air compressor. The wheels just look a lot better than stock IMO.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited - Ice Silver
187 Posts
Those wheels / tires look really nice. I wonder if they will rub at all since they are 18's. They look like LP Adventure wheels.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I don't live in Canada, but my insurance from a '20 4 Runner TRD Pro went down about $2.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts