Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically the OEM hitch with the Wilderness trim, can someone provide the ground to the top inside edge of the receiver tube opening measurement?

Here's what it looks like in the attached image for the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch:
Flash photography Automotive tire Automotive design Workwear Gas

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
This post has a photo and looking at it, the OE hitch is about 3" higher I would estimate, but hope you find someone to give you actual measurements:

Reactions: DeafWhisperer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I don't have the car yet. So I looked at my Ridgeline. The measurement is 19 1/4". I measured the gap between 1up rack/hitch and at the bottom of my steep driveway. It's only 6"! That Draw-Tite hitch would put it around a 3" gap.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
I think the Ridgeline is totally underrated - so many people buy trucks for attitude not utility, and don't really use them as "trucks" per-se. The Ridgeline is the perfect pickup truck with double plus utility as long as you're not needing the true body on frame truckiness for massive loads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We love our Ridgeline so much that we are keeping it, even with a new Outback. It might be crazy but we are going to try to make it work with three vehicles for the family (the other two paid off). The only thing I'm surprised about is why Ridgeline is not more popular. It is so incredibly useful with the truck bed and drives like a car. Even my wife is intimidated to drive a big truck, not so with the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
I like the ridgeline better before they made the hood straighter - the sloped hood has better visibility. It bugs me that they made the grille bigger just for looks. One thing holding the Ridgeline back is that it doesn't have that macho attitude but no matter what, there is a perception that it's not a "real truck" and even people who never use their vehicles as a "real truck" want a "real truck" for emotional not rational reasons. It's like how people use their vehicles to overcompensate for their inadequacies. People driving around with mall crawlers and such. A friend of mine just bought a Tacoma (former F-150 truck owning construction worker, now retired) but if he had asked me ahead of time I would have said to check a Ridgeline out before deciding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SilverOnyx, you're spot on. The first time I saw it in 2017, I thought it was the ugliest truck in the world. It looked like a half minivan. That is until I test drove it. I was shocked at how much nicer it was to drive than my previous Tacoma. We needed a small truck and still do. I got over the weird look and love it. The visibility is way better with that minivan-type hood. Maybe Honda added that macho look hood to attract more buyers.
The funny thing is I thought Wilderness was the ugliest car in the world. Now I love the look once I realized it met all of my use cases.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,469 Posts
This is where a thinking person chooses differently than someone who is overly emotional in their choices. Image and advertising isn't reality. Buying an F-550 doesn't turn an accountant into a lumberjack, but if you're towing a 60 foot three axle 5th wheel, that would be a good truck to get, but driving it to pick up the kids from school is idiocracy.

·
Registered
22 wilderness edition ob, 3.6r limited ob (traded), 14 carbide grey metallic ob (Traded)
71 Posts
Id like to add that the Ridgeline is actually number #1 in terms of American made trucks. Tell that to all those Mexican made ford and Chevy boys...lol I think the honda is like 90% American made where as the f150 is something like 80%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts