Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My 2.5i CVT OBs ( 2010 & 2015 models) have successfully towed a 2,000 fish n ski boat with car loaded with gear over 4,000' Cascade passes multiple times. It is able to ,maintain 55 mph on the passes comfortably and 70 on the flat.
Actually I was more concerned about potentially having to make an emergency stop (no trailer brakes) than getting over the pass! I always kept a good distance behind any cars and didn't attempt to pass anyone. Boat launches, even steep, crummy gravel ones were a bit of a grunt, but car was always up to the task.
Not saying it that a 2.5i is the ideal or best rig for that task, but is adequate. So I suspect that the 2.4i w CVT should be able to handle the task - including occasional passing - no sweat
Yes, I expect that since our Equinox already (just) manages to do mostly what we need, the XT should be more than capable.

But the Passport would definitely do the towing better than the Outback.

But we only tow long distance half a dozen times a year, so in the comparison between the two vehicles I tested it's a small win for the Passport.

I usually make decisions based on research, and thoughtful analysis.... but at the moment the thing that's most swaying me is how I felt while driving the Outback. I thoroughly enjoyed how it drives.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would think that the Santa Fe would be worth a test drive also, as I think it is new for 2022. Plus, there are both hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions, if that is of any interest. (Although cold Canadian winters are not necessarily good for hybrid efficiency....)
It's on the short list of vehicles still to try, but I am not a fan of either the interior (centre console looks awful) or exterior so it'll have to wow me to get me properly interested.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
44 Posts
haha I like the corner test. I currently have both cars, STI and Outback Wilderness. I got the OBW because my knee injury and back pain put a limit on how long I can sit the STI. So, I was specifically looking for a comfortable boat and will handle snow storm. Besides!, driving home through snowstorm after getting worn out from all day snowboarding is brutal in the STI. The OBW seems like the perfect car for me to strap my snowboard on roof and go on adventure.
The OBW does not disappoint. It is soft but still responsive, my knee and back are much happier for long drive. It will body-roll for days, but not as bad as I expected.
Though, it is very far from my STI, but when the road opens up on my commute, I do get to practice cornering. I believe if I can corner this thing fast, I can do it faster on the STI with the same line. So I treated it as a training car, it will amplify all cornering mistakes, which is a good learning car if you think about it. And also let my knee and back not suffering too much from just daily commute.

I did trail-brake the OBW into the corner. It does give a hint of rotation if you shift its weight correctly, but by nature of 60% torque front, the understeering is strong. Corner exit require good timing because the CVT has no idea what it wants to do and insist on high ratio most of the time. The brakes aren't anything to write home about, but it is adequate, it trains you to get used to using it less; hence more planning ahead before diving into a turn. Steering is a bit vague but it has enough information to predict where you're at in relative to your traction circle. I also drag-race against a 10th Gen Civic Si, and won :ROFLMAO:

By the end of the day, the OBW is an extremely comfortable ride, you can be a grandpa if you want. And when you're alone, it can give you just a bite of what it means to have good/bad handling depends on your behavior. For such a boat as it is, it handles itself very well.

The OBW is the 1st car that I actually bought and enjoy driving other than a compact sport (STI, 350Z, RX7, S2000, ...). It doesn't replace my STI. But now, everytime I hop into my STI, I really appreciate how the Outback let my knee and back rest, so I can have more quality time with my STI. Getting old is a pain, but I guess life in the slow-lane isn't too bad after all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been leasing a 2020 santa fe limited, not the new style they have now, for the past year so far and I really like it. It's comfortable, I like the tech a lot, and my kids love being able to see out the roof. The turbo is peppy, but I can't compare to OB. It was easier to lease than an OB where I am so that played a big part. The trunk is huge. I can load up everything our family of 4 needs for a week and it looks empty back there lol. I have mainly city and highway miles, and very limited gravel driving. If you're looking for good mpg the turbo is not it, but it's quite fun lol. Here in nyc i'll avg less than 10 mpg, and on long highway trips i've only ever topped out at 25. The cruise and lane centering tech stuff makes long drives really easy though. I wouldn't compare it to an obw, maybe a touring, but even then it just looks and feels like more of a street car than the ob. If i wasn't living in the city I prob would have gone with the ob. The santa fe did really well in the snow last winter on stock tires which really surprised me. Hope this is even a little helpful. Again, mine is a 2020, so not the current gen design and not the current engine. Naturally I've seen both pros and cons to the new gen vs mine. I'm really happy with mine as a lease, not sure i'd buy it though. Lastly, but possibly the most important, I find that the hyundai community is nothing like the subaru community. I love the subi community, hyundai forums are dead boring lol

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
588 Posts
Not the one I'm on. crvownersclub.com, I'm on there as much as the OB forum and have found very good info. there. And there are just as many jerks and helpful people as there are on this forum.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
44 Posts
I love the Subaru community. My wife has a new CRV talk about a boring forums
Out of all the community I've been to, Subaru community is the best IMO. If you hop on to the WRX/STI group, there are as many jerks/idiots. But overall, there are a lot more people on Subaru. From what I've seen, Subaru people tend to have more interesting hobbies that I like and people care about their cars more.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,669 Posts
I've driven a 2021 Passport Elite for an extended period of time and I would take one over ANYTHING that Subaru currently makes. I am not a fan of the lower trim level Passports and certainly would not consider a Sport model especially when compared to an Onyx or above OBXT. I still long for the days of the Subaru H-6 that are gone 😥

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
690 Posts
I've driven a 2021 Passport Elite for an extended period of time and I would take one over ANYTHING that Subaru currently makes. I am not a fan of the lower trim level Passports and certainly would not consider a Sport model especially when compared to an Onyx or above OBXT. I still long for the days of the Subaru H-6 that are gone
I really like stealing my wife's Elite Passport. Once we put better tires on the nice 20" black wheels, it will be really nice. So we have a touring 3.6r and the passport and life is good

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Legacy 3.6 w Eyesight
116 Posts
I purchased a new vehicle at the end of July. My shopping list consisted of a Outback XT Limited/Touring and an Acura RDX. In the end, I ended up with the RDX. It wasn't an easy choice after having 4 Legacies continuously since 2007. I was able to get a deal on it that was too good to pass up. I liked both vehicles pretty much equally for different reasons. The RDX certainly has a firmer ride than the Outback, but its not uncomfortably so. My sister has a 2015 Volvo XC60 and that feels firmer to me than the RDX, without handling benefit. The Passport and RDX share the same AWD system, but it uses different logic than Honda to better take advantage of the rear torque vectoring. I did have an opportunity to test the current RDX in snow a couple years ago in the snow before I purchased my last Legacy and I was genuinely impressed with how it felt and handled. Like anything, no car is perfect. I can tell you I definitely prefer Eyesight to Acurawatch. With the exception of lane centering function, Eyesight seems to have more refined and natural feeling responses, and I never had issues with phantom braking for shadows. The infotainment, while the ELS system sounds good, its definitely slower to get going, but its fine after a minute or two once its fully up and running. One thing I experienced on my last two Legacies that I was not happy with was premature wear on the leather. Both started having some cracking and peeling leather on the driver's seat after 2-2.5 years. Also was not a huge fan of the slow warming seat heaters and general slower warm up in the winters of the last two as well. I may not have a Subaru myself, but my parents still own an Outback and Crosstrek, and have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of them every now and then and will probably be staying in the family for some time.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,063 Posts
I purchased a new vehicle at the end of July. My shopping list consisted of a Outback XT Limited/Touring and an Acura RDX. In the end, I ended up with the RDX. It wasn't an easy choice after having 4 Legacies continuously since 2007. I was able to get a deal on it that was too good to pass up. I liked both vehicles pretty much equally for different reasons. The RDX certainly has a firmer ride than the Outback, but its not uncomfortably so. My sister has a 2015 Volvo XC60 and that feels firmer to me than the RDX, without handling benefit. The Passport and RDX share the same AWD system, but it uses different logic than Honda to better take advantage of the rear torque vectoring. I did have an opportunity to test the current RDX in snow a couple years ago in the snow before I purchased my last Legacy and I was genuinely impressed with how it felt and handled. Like anything, no car is perfect. I can tell you I definitely prefer Eyesight to Acurawatch. With the exception of lane centering function, Eyesight seems to have more refined and natural feeling responses, and I never had issues with phantom braking for shadows. The infotainment, while the ELS system sounds good, its definitely slower to get going, but its fine after a minute or two once its fully up and running. One thing I experienced on my last two Legacies that I was not happy with was premature wear on the leather. Both started having some cracking and peeling leather on the driver's seat after 2-2.5 years. Also was not a huge fan of the slow warming seat heaters and general slower warm up in the winters of the last two as well. I may not have a Subaru myself, but my parents still own an Outback and Crosstrek, and have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of them every now and then and will probably be staying in the family for some time.
Not sure it SH-AWD(Acura) share the same AWD units as Pilot /passport/ridgeline) Also, A Subaru Legacy is much cheaper than a RDX. I share your concern on the leather, my 20 Legacy's driver side leather was replaced after a 1.5 years but it was a warranty item. I have no issues after that. The track pad infotainment on the RDX or Acura in general is not as good as touch interface. I have driven the RDX. In fact, I drove a 21 and to be honest it did not feel any better to drive that a 20/21 CRV in higher trim config especially for 15k more. The 22 RDX is suppose to fix some of the NVH issues but still retains the same infotainment set up. At the end of the day I would take my 28k limited Legacy over any RDX

·
Registered
2016 Legacy 3.6 w Eyesight
116 Posts
Not sure it SH-AWD(Acura) share the same AWD units as Pilot /passport/ridgeline) Also, A Subaru Legacy is much cheaper than a RDX. I share your concern on the leather, my 20 Legacy's driver side leather was replaced after a 1.5 years but it was a warranty item. I have no issues after that. The track pad infotainment on the RDX or Acura in general is not as good as touch interface. I have driven the RDX. In fact, I drove a 21 and to be honest it did not feel any better to drive that a 20/21 CRV in higher trim config especially for 15k more. The 22 RDX is suppose to fix some of the NVH issues but still retains the same infotainment set up. At the end of the day I would take my 28k limited Legacy over any RDX
The current version of Hondas ivtm-4 is the mechanically the same as sh-awd.

I got used to the track pad after a few weeks, though still not as good as a touch screen. And when I was shopping this time around, I was shopping an Outback XT Limited/Touring to the RDX, not a Legacy. The prices on the a lease ended up being much closer than I expected for the two vehicles.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,669 Posts
Look up JonDZ on YouTube, he has a modified Honda Passport that he overlands with his Subaru buddies and others. He has got a pretty amazing channel and a lot of experience with Subaru. For example:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you don't need [as much] ground clearance, Toyota Sienna AWD / Woodlands
Max cargo space per mpg winner by far.
I hadn't heard of this!
If we were going to have kids this would have been a serious consideration, but we definitely don't need THAT much room. Lol

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Look up JonDZ on YouTube, he has a modified Honda Passport that he overlands with his Subaru buddies and others. He has got a pretty amazing channel and a lot of experience with Subaru. For example:

Thanks for sharing that channel. This recently posted video features an OBW along side that Passport and does a great job of showing what they can do.

My takeaways are that the stock OBW is incredibly capable and will undoubtedly be more than enough offroading ability than I will need. The Passport can also be extremely capable, but would require additional modding and investment.

For my needs this is definitely a win for the OBW. In Canada we get full skid plate package so between the Geolanders, full size spare, and the stock lift I don't feel any need to add capability.

The stock tires and rims on the Passport are less ideal for my needs so I'd need to decide on what changes to make. Go with a winter tire set and an all season set like I currently use on my vehicles? Sell the stocks and buy something similar to the Geloanders? Either way it's going to be additional costs vs the OBW.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness, Primative plates, Focal speakers
88 Posts
I'm really thankful I didn't debate buying an OBW at this level. I've ridden in enough SUVs to know I don't like them. In Colorado, they seem like boulevard queens that never see a OHV so (as much as I love Honda cars) a CRV, or Passport never entered my mind. On the trail, you see Jeeps, Land Cruisers/Lexus LX, modified Pick-Ups and Subarus.

In parking lots here, every 4th car is a Subaru (not joking). So when I started seeing YouTube videos with reviewers taking OBW on roads I wanted to go on (Fire Roads with trailheads) it just seemed like a slam dunk. In one week I went from seeing 10+ reviews to driving one that just came off the truck (was manufactured 20 days before I drove it). I immediately bought it, and paid sticker. Let's do this thing. It's a Subaru — all my neighbors drive them into the ground. I'm sure it's good.

I spent more time researching modifications to the OBW (skid plates, new speakers, cargo/outdoor gear, etc) than I did researching the car itself. That was the easy part, lol. To quote Nike, 'just do it'

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
643 Posts

This was a great video!

The one dude with the Forester that was cooking his CVT on that hill to medium rare... ouch.

·
Registered
2020 Premier XT
17 Posts
I've been leasing a 2020 santa fe limited, not the new style they have now, for the past year so far and I really like it. It's comfortable, I like the tech a lot, and my kids love being able to see out the roof. The turbo is peppy, but I can't compare to OB. It was easier to lease than an OB where I am so that played a big part. The trunk is huge. I can load up everything our family of 4 needs for a week and it looks empty back there lol. I have mainly city and highway miles, and very limited gravel driving. If you're looking for good mpg the turbo is not it, but it's quite fun lol. Here in nyc i'll avg less than 10 mpg, and on long highway trips i've only ever topped out at 25. The cruise and lane centering tech stuff makes long drives really easy though. I wouldn't compare it to an obw, maybe a touring, but even then it just looks and feels like more of a street car than the ob. If i wasn't living in the city I prob would have gone with the ob. The santa fe did really well in the snow last winter on stock tires which really surprised me. Hope this is even a little helpful. Again, mine is a 2020, so not the current gen design and not the current engine. Naturally I've seen both pros and cons to the new gen vs mine. I'm really happy with mine as a lease, not sure i'd buy it though. Lastly, but possibly the most important, I find that the hyundai community is nothing like the subaru community. I love the subi community, hyundai forums are dead boring lol
I’ve had 2020 XT for a few weeks. Traded in a 2018 Sorento 3.3 V6 EX+, previously had 2016 Sorento 2.0T EX, previous to this 2013 Sandra Fe 2.4. Going to the 2.0 turbo was huge compared to base 2.4. The 3.3 v6 is a great engine, faster and smoother than the 2.0T. The OB XT is hands down much quicker than either Sorento. The CVT is inferior to the Kia/Hyundai tranny IMO.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts