Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into upgrading my tires from the stock Bridgestone Duelers and had it narrowed down to the ever popular Yokohama Geolandars GO15 or the Falken Wildepeak A/T Trails. When I was looking at Tirerack today I saw these Wildpeak A/T Trail 01A.. Anyone have some miles on these or know the major difference between the standard A/T Trails? The lower price caught my eye, and would like some other peoples opinion on them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,998 Posts
This seems to be an OE version made for Toyota. I read a Rav4 review in Car and Driver that ref'd it by name. I suspect the non-01A is what I'd want (especially after the OE Duelers).

UTQG: 360 B A vs. UTQG: 680 A A

Reactions: 3.6Mafia

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been looking into upgrading my tires from the stock Bridgestone Duelers and had it narrowed down to the ever popular Yokohama Geolandars GO15 or the Falken Wildepeak A/T Trails. When I was looking at Tirerack today I saw these Wildpeak A/T Trail 01A.. Anyone have some miles on these or know the major difference between the standard A/T Trails? The lower price caught my eye, and would like some other peoples opinion on them. Thanks.
For a little more info, check out the thread from about 5 months ago entitled "Two Versions of the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail ?". The general consensus was that the aftermarket version is the way to go. By the way, I got them in 225/65-17 on Method Racing 501 wheels, and recommend them without hesitation!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a little more info, check out the thread from about 5 months ago entitled "Two Versions of the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail ?". The general consensus was that the aftermarket version is the way to go. By the way, I got them in 225/65-17 on Method Racing 501 wheels, and recommend them without hesitation!

That was a good little read thanks albert-jan. When you say "them" would that be the standard Wildpeak A/T Trail? I'll most likely go with stock size on oem wheels for now, but I have been known to say **** it and could go 235 or 245 on some 17's :sneaky:

·
Registered
141 Posts
That was a good little read thanks albert-jan. When you say "them" would that be the standard Wildpeak A/T Trail? I'll most likely go with stock size on oem wheels for now, but I have been known to say **** it and could go 235 or 245 on some 17's :sneaky:
Yep, I went for the standard aftermarket, or "non-01A" version. So mine is the 225/65-17; member taconugget got his with the same wheels in 235. We posted some side-by-side pics so you can see how they look. In the 18" OEM size, fattcoffee has 235/60-18, stillsanbert510 chose 225/60-18. As far as I can tell, everybody is pleased- they are all good choices with no issues. I sometimes wish I had gone for 235s because they look really good and are 6 ply rather than 4; but I advise caution regarding 245s.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have been known to say **** it and could go 235 or 245 on some 17's :sneaky:
If you get the 225 it will have the best on-road ride and handling, fuel efficiency, braking, torque and acceleration and match the spare tire diameter, and be good for soft-roading. It has the lowest weight.

If you get the 235 it has 6 ply instead of 4 ply and if you're going on sharp rocks maybe it's more puncture resistant, but you take a mild hit on the on-road performance in all of the areas above. The other issue is that it will be a slightly different diameter than the spare.

The 245 doesn't offer any advantages except looks and another member regretted the effect of the added unsprung weight and took his off.

Back to the 4-ply vs 6-ply - Haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the 4-ply as far as puncture resistance, so the advantage of the extra 2 ply is just theoretical at this point, but the disadvantages of extra unsprung weight are for sure.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you get the 225 it will have the best on-road ride and handling, fuel efficiency, braking, torque and acceleration and match the spare tire diameter, and be good for soft-roading. It has the lowest weight.

If you get the 235 it has 6 ply instead of 4 ply and if you're going on sharp rocks maybe it's more puncture resistant, but you take a mild hit on the on-road performance in all of the areas above. The other issue is that it will be a slightly different diameter than the spare.

The 245 doesn't offer any advantages except looks and another member regretted the effect of the added unsprung weight and took his off.

Back to the 4-ply vs 6-ply - Haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the 4-ply as far as puncture resistance, so the advantage of the extra 2 ply is just theoretical at this point, but the disadvantages of extra unsprung weight are for sure.

SilverOnyx you told me exactly what I needed to hear, thanks!! I do some soft-roading here in northern NV as well as drive to socal often. Might do 235/65/17 for DD and weekend adventures and the stock set up for road trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts