Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2020 Onyx will be here in a couple of weeks (hooray!), and I’m looking to put some meatier, more aggressive all terrain tires on it along with some LP Adventure LP5 wheels (17x8) and a 2” LP Adventure lift. I’ve narrowed my tire search down to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s (not the Trail model) and the BFG Ko2‘s. I’m leaning more towards the Wildpeaks, because according to my novice research, they perform better on road while getting similar performance off-road as compared to the Ko2s. I’m I sounding right? So question number one is, is there any reason I should consider the Ko2 over the Wildpeak? I live in Utah so I get quite a variety of terrain throughout the year. From heavy snow, to sand, to mountain trails, to hard rock, and paved roads in between.

If I were to go with the Wildpeak AT3W tires, what would be the biggest tire size I could run without rubbing (or just minor rubbing) with 17” wheels and a 2” lift? I’m thinking 245/65/r17. What do you think? I would love any feedback or input you might have! Thanks!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,979 Posts
I've had both. Both in 245/65/17.

KO2 is definitely too much for these cars. I prefer the AT3. I might move down to the AT Trail when it's time to replace them for weight savings.

245/65/17 won't rub on factory wheels but aftermarket ones might depending on offset.

I would not recommend either on snow/ice over a dedicated Winter Tire.

I've tested the AT3 and it performed horribly in the snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

KO2 is definitely too much for these cars. I prefer the AT3. I might move down to the AT Trail when it's time to replace them for weight savings.

245/65/17 won't rub on factory wheels but aftermarket ones might depending on offset.

Thank you so much! Any idea what offset might work with a 2” lift? The wheels I’m looking at have a 38mm offset, but I have no clue how much that might rub with a lift!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever the offset is on Method 502's causes mine to rub when turning and braking.
Looks like those have 38mm offset as well. How bad is your rub? Would you recommend using that offset? Also thanks much for all your insight, I’m new to all this!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,631 Posts
my ko2 where ok in snow drove with them full on winter on roads and in forests in snow never got stuck in snow. yes they not as good as winter but i had no dangerous situations or anything on roads with them. felt fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks so much guys! Okay, like I said, I'm pretty new to all of this. So is there anything else I need to consider/purchase to make this setup work? Lift: Check. Wheels: Check. Tires: Check. Any sensors or gauges or anything I might be overlooking?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
No nothing more is needed. Just enjoy new tires and maybe first learn how they perform not on main roads. I do that allways at first.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It's minor but it's there.

Just enough to polish the plastic on occasion. I've cut most of it away now.

View attachment 486112
I would connect that skid plate with bumper so it would not be that gap there looks like it can hook onto something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you moving your sensors over from your current wheels? Do you care if the light is on?
I think I'd prefer the light to work as it usually would! Whether that means using the current sensor or swamping it out for something else!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,979 Posts
I think I'd prefer the light to work as it usually would! Whether that means using the current sensor or swamping it out for something else!
You could move the sensor over from your factory wheel or get an aftermarket sensor that clones the OEM one so the car doesn't know the difference.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Touring
5 Posts
TPMS situation?
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I just ordered a set of Wildpeak AT Trails in 245/65r17, and tiresize.com pressure calculator seems to suggest dropping from OEM 35/33 psi on front/rear to 28/26psi (OEM 225/60r18 load rating 100H). Seems low and a recipe for TPMS light...what pressures have worked for you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I just ordered a set of Wildpeak AT Trails in 245/65r17, and tiresize.com pressure calculator seems to suggest dropping from OEM 35/33 psi on front/rear to 28/26psi (OEM 225/60r18 load rating 100H). Seems low and a recipe for TPMS light...what pressures have worked for you?
I’m wondering the same thing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

What psi do you run your Wildpeak AT3s at? For daily driving and for off-road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts