Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 2.5L automatic that has developed HG issues - also have a low mileage 2000 2.5L automatic that has a relatively low mileage motor.

Will the 2000 fit into the 98?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
Plug and play? No.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Fit? Yes. It will bolt right up.

Plug up and work? Not even close, lots of things changed electrically. Major challenge to get one to work with the other.

Much, much easier to convert to a 2.2 as mentioned above.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
I already have a 2000 2.5L. Does not make sense to purchase another engine.
And everyone here is telling you that it won't be a functional swap.

Reactions: wtdash

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
and you already have an engine installed that doesn't require custom work and will still result in drivability issues.
replace the current headgaskets in the car = easier than an engine swap.

it'll bolt right up but you need to swap the entire intake manifold wiring harness - move it from one intake to the other. then it won't idle correctly because the idle controller set ups are completely different and non interchangeable (well not without significant custom fabrication). after cobbling it together you can prop the throttle plate open to get it to move.

or you could do a complete wiring/ECU merge...but you're likely not going to do that and it would be far more work than doing the headgaskets.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
no EGR inlet into a 2000-2002 EJ251 / EJ252 US spec engine,

so that would have to be tapped out if one were to want to run it with a EJ25D ECU (I guess).

just like a JDM EJ25D (which would also need head gaskets and a main bearing).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
no EGR inlet into a 2000-2002 EJ251 / EJ252 US spec engine,

so that would have to be tapped out if one were to want to run it with a EJ25D ECU (I guess).
Nah, doesn't matter - it'll run and drive fine without EGR.

You'll have a check engine light, but it doesn't affect drivability at all. So it only matters in a state that won't allow a check engine light for inspection or emissions.

In that case there's a simple work around for getting rid of the check engine light. Then you're golden - you just installed a non EGR engine into an EGR equipped vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts