Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L MT, 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Outback front bumper and fog lights are in bad shape and I am contemplating about changing the whole thing with 2013 model. I don't like the way my current fog lights are mounted. As some of you already know this, the 2011 fog lights are secured by two bolts (opposite corners) to a skinny ass plastic inside the bumper. And two other corners slide into plastic slots.

I slid into a small snow berm and broke the plastic bracket which holds the fog light and the fog light assembly itself. The 2013 fog lights look beefier and reminds me of my 2000 Outback.

So I would like to know the following?

1. Will this swap work without any mod?
2. Is it worth doing? Would you do it?
3. How 2013 Fog lights are secured to the vehicle?
4. Any threads about this swap both here and elsewhere?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
To really be able to tell, you would have to pull off your bumper and compare all the fastening points to those on a '13 that also has it's bumper off. if all those points are in the same place...exactly...then maybe...

Sounds like more work than it's worth though...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To really be able to tell, you would have to pull off your bumper and compare all the fastening points to those on a '13 that also has it's bumper off. if all those points are in the same place...exactly...then maybe...

Sounds like more work than it's worth though...
Thank you for your comment! BTW where did you get you light bar? I live in interior Alaska and woulld like to get moose lights installed.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Thank you for your comment! BTW where did you get you light bar? I live in interior Alaska and woulld like to get moose lights installed.
The bar is from Rally innovations...https://www.rallyinnovations.com/index.php
That is the exact reason I bought the bar...we have a moose epidemic in our province...700 plus accidents a year involving moose. Now I can see them lurking on the shoulders of the highway way off in the distance. It just that...a light bar...not a brush/nudge bar. But it is great for four lights.

No more work than many member's suggested "easier" method for changing the lightbulbs on the car. ;)
...true. Changing a low beam bulb is a major undertaking due to that poor design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
You'll need to replace the bumper, grill, and maybe headlights. Not sure about hood.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
5 Posts
I love my 2012 but when I see a 2013 front end I always think **** that looks bad ass. I thinks it def worth it especially if your old front end has taken a beating and you have to do something about it anyway. That's my plan in the future. And without the front plate even though our stupid New Jersey laws make that mandatory.

·
Registered
14' OB 2.5i Premium, CGM
87 Posts
If you don't feel like drilling the bumper you could always go with a grimmspeed relocation kit. Just screws into the tow hook location. This is how I have mine set up.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I actually have the Grimspeed, new in the box, but since there are still "dimples" in the bumper for plate holes, I figured I'd use the molded plate bracket from Subaru.

Thanks for the idea tho :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
The front end change on the '13+ is what helped me upgrade from my '11 to my '13. No offense to 2010-12 owners, but I wanted to cover my 2011's grille and fogs with scrap brown paper grocery bags. Arguably one of the most homliest grilles in the industry, and I always hated that ugly silver trim around the fogs.

Op I don't think you need the headlights, but the grille goes lower into the bumper than the 2011. IMO it would be a huge improvement, and worth it if you are commited to cleaning up a damaged front end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
YES!

While likely too late for the OP, this may help others doing a search later.

The bumper will fit just fine, no modification needed. You will need the grille and the new style 2013 fog lamps, but it all goes together easily and no wiring or other mods needed. Hood and fenders are the same. See my thread here; https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...242-my-latest-lighting-front-end-project.html
Hey hoppy, do you still have this thread? The link didn't work and I can't find it in your started threads section.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Hey hoppy, do you still have this thread? The link didn't work and I can't find it in your started threads section.

That link goes somewhere else.

I can’t seem to find the link either, but it’s all a direct swap. Hood, Fenders, and Headlights are interchangeable from 2010-2015. You’ll just need bumper skin, grille, and fog lamps to swap the look. I used 2014 “appearance package” headlamps with the black housing in mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That link goes somewhere else.

I can’t seem to find the link either, but it’s all a direct swap. Hood, Fenders, and Headlights are interchangeable from 2010-2015. You’ll just need bumper skin, grille, and fog lamps to swap the look. I used 2014 “appearance package” headlamps with the black housing in mine.
Perfect thank you sir! I am looking for a bumper to cut and mount with a guard/skid plates for my '13, and I found a '11 OB for a doner car. So I will pick up the bumper skin and grille incase I want to use that when it is all said and done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts