Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a **** of a time figuring out whether the factory rack on my 3.6 2013 Outback will support the 110 lb. roof top tent I just ordered. Dealer says "no problem"- rep claims he has put a cargo rack up there with at leas that much weight and worked well. Subaru of America can't give a specific answer for the 2013 cites advisory not to put an RTT on the 2020 Outback- not much help there.
I see other discussions complaining the factory rack cross bars are "too flexible" for heavy loads. No one has addressed roof top tents specifically, which kind of surprises me given that they're so popular right now. Rack Attack says "pop out" the factory cross bars and install Thule Podium towers with an LB50 square cross bars and 460 Podium foot pack and fit KIT 4063. But this is not only fairly expensive but also calls for spacing of 24 1/2 inches between bars- and the tent calls for 40 inch spacing- which I can almost make with the factory cross bars. Plus, I'm not sure how the factory bars "pop out".

Anyone else dealt with this?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
156 Posts
Having a **** of a time figuring out whether the factory rack on my 3.6 2013 Outback will support the 110 lb. roof top tent I just ordered. Dealer says "no problem"- rep claims he has put a cargo rack up there with at leas that much weight and worked well. Subaru of America can't give a specific answer for the 2013 cites advisory not to put an RTT on the 2020 Outback- not much help there.
I see other discussions complaining the factory rack cross bars are "too flexible" for heavy loads. No one has addressed roof top tents specifically, which kind of surprises me given that they're so popular right now. Rack Attack says "pop out" the factory cross bars and install Thule Podium towers with an LB50 square cross bars and 460 Podium foot pack and fit KIT 4063. But this is not only fairly expensive but also calls for spacing of 24 1/2 inches between bars- and the tent calls for 40 inch spacing- which I can almost make with the factory cross bars. Plus, I'm not sure how the factory bars "pop out".

Anyone else dealt with this?
For what it's worth. "
150 lbs.

Registered. At subaru.com under the 'models & specs' section for the Outback, they state the load capacity for the roof rack is 150 lbs.Jan 29, 2014"

Factory Rack Carrying Capacity.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
21 Posts
Pop out there is a small lever at the head of the bar when you lift the lever it releases the bar from storage. The bars can then swing across the roof to the opposite side and click into the hole.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it's worth. "
150 lbs.

Registered. At subaru.com under the 'models & specs' section for the Outback, they state the load capacity for the roof rack is 150 lbs.Jan 29, 2014"

Factory Rack Carrying Capacity.
Thanks, yup, I know the designated dynamic load is 150. Just have seen some very skeptical posts that the cross bars are actually solid enough for the 110 lb. RTT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pop out there is a small lever at the head of the bar when you lift the lever it releases the bar from storage. The bars can then swing across the roof to the opposite side and click into the hole.
Thanks. Got it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should be okay I think. This probably doesn't help much but I installed an RTT on the factory bars of my 2020 outback and it seems just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts