Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was looking at the Japan spec outback and it wouldn't surprise me if they were to have those features on the north american 2014 outback

Take a look for yourselves

Blind spot monitoring on side mirrors
Turn signals on mirrors
Auto-dim side mirrors
Keyless entry
Rain sensing wipers
Push start
emergency brake in center console instead of next to the steering wheel
Xenon headlights
Possibly new wheels in 18" size

·
Registered
814 Posts
You had me curious about "Japan Spec" Outback so I searched and found what looks like what we should have got for wheels on the '13 USDM Outback. These would have been perfect for the Outback, especially SAP models.

Pic is of some "Japan Spec" 2013 Legacy

http://www.autocarfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2013-New-Subaru-Legacy-Rear-Pictures.jpg

This grille would have been perfect for the Outback, also love the oem headlights here without the orange reflector. *Note the chrome door handles also on this car, while I'm uesually trying to de-chrome my cars those would give the Outback Limited a more "upscale" look IMO.

http://www.autocarfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2013-New-Subaru-Legacy-Pictures.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Rain sensing wipers
really!?

Yeah, I hate it when I can't tell its raining and I can't see out my winshield cause I didnt think to turn on the wipers.

Just one more thing I would have to find out how to turn OFF.

I think I can move my FINGER to turn on the wipers when needed...

but yeah, I would have loved the E brake to be in a better spot.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Actually, if rain sensing wipers are done right, they're really nice.
The Mercedes I drove with them worked very well, because the wipers respond to the amount of moisture on the windshield. Basically, the system is an automatically adjusting intermittent wiper system. It had manual modes, which I would prefer to have available - but as long as the automatic system is working, its better than having to constantly adjust to varying rain conditions. Of course maybe this is a bigger deal to those of us in the Pacific Northwest, because of the various types and amounts of rain we get.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Hey all, I was looking at the Japan spec outback and it wouldn't surprise me if they were to have those features on the north american 2014 outback

Take a look for yourselves

Turn signals on mirrors
Auto-dim side mirrors
Keyless entry
Rain sensing wipers
Push start
Xenon headlights

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!:gasp:

Dang-it! I swore I was gonna keep this car for a while...

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
I hope so, I really want the blind spot monitoring. In my area people make a habit of driving there. I hate to say it, but I'm guessing that will be the '15 new generation though, just to tick me off since I'm planning on a new Outback next year.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
The only thing I'd want is the xenon headlights. The rest I can live without and would not want to pay for. I already got some additional stuff I did not entirely want with the SAP package but it did satisfy my desire to have memory seats (albeit without memory side mirrors) and push button start and has the turn signals in the side mirrors. I'm keeping mine!

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I wish we got all the cool stuff here like they get elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
Hard for me to see how 18" wheels would be an improvement on the Outback.. for a "GT" trim of the Legacy, etc.. sure but less sidewall is not necessarily a good thing for a car like the Outback that is supposed to do well on rough roads and handle mild offroading..

Rims that don't get bent regularly are superior to those that do..

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hard for me to see how 18" wheels would be an improvement on the Outback.. for a "GT" trim of the Legacy, etc.. sure but less sidewall is not necessarily a good thing for a car like the Outback that is supposed to do well on rough roads and handle mild offroading..

Rims that don't get bent regularly are superior to those that do..
True, but I thought those Legacy wheels would be a nice touch for the higher-end trims like Limited or SAP. I live in a town where Outbacks are as common as an Accord or Camry. I have never seen dirt on any Outback trim higher than Premium. Just saying, so it's perfectly fitting for the more luxury apponted models.

Just as an example, you can spec a Mercedes ML or BMW X5 with 19 & 20" wheels with 50 series tires, some would even say is as capable or more so than a more car-based Outback so I don't see why 18" wheels on an Outback would be an issue. I have off-roaded my 2011, 2.5i extensively while it is good for fire-roads it is no 4Runner or Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Blind spot sensor is a nice feature and if implemented correctly remote start and push button start are nice too (if you can keep the FOB in your pocket). Xenon headlights yes as well as the turn signals in the side mirrors.

I didn't look but lack of a memory seat cabability is a huge fail. Not expensive and even the cheapest cars have them. For multi driver OBs this is a nice feature.

I plan to get a 14 but if this isn't available to 15 I don't know...

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Blind spot monitoring on side mirrors<O:p</O:p
Turn signals on mirrors<O:p</O:p
Auto-dim side mirrors<O:p</O:p
Keyless entry<O:p</O:p
Rain sensing wipers<O:p</O:p
Push start<O:p</O:p
Emergency brake in center console instead of next to the steering wheel<O:p</O:p
Xenon headlights<O:p</O:p

Sure why not, put them on an option/fluff package and keep the Prem at $25K (w/ the E-Brake and Xenon).<O:p</O:p
Unless they’re increasing rotor size, I’d rather have snow/17 and (lighter) 18-19/aftermarket.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
I hope so, I really want the blind spot monitoring. In my area people make a habit of driving there. I hate to say it, but I'm guessing that will be the '15 new generation though, just to tick me off since I'm planning on a new Outback next year.
You can do the same thing with a wide-view stick-on-mirror from Advance Auto for $3.99. Works like a champ. And cheaper!

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited with Wheel Arch Moldings, Interior illumination kit, rear bumper underguard, rear bumper cover, side molding kit, splash guards, moon roof + Nav system, 110V outlet.
161 Posts
No one thus far has mentioned the feature that I would pay extra for, the auto dimming side mirrors. As someone who prefers driving in the later evening (less traffic), I would LOVE to have auto-dimming side mirrors. The Auto dimming rear view mirror is still my favorite feature on my '12, and I only wish it had the auto-dimming sides!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Or adjust your mirrors correctly and pretty much eliminate blind-spots. Never look like a tool with the stick on mirrors either..

Car and Driver
Haha! I have stick on mirrors.

I got used to the curved mirrors on our work trucks. I think all vehicles should have blind spot mirrors too. Remember, people are lazy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would love to have a power lift gate on my Outback. I am disabled and load my wheelchair into the cargo area. Walking is difficult for me, so having to power lift gate would be one less thing for me to have to worry about doing while standing. With that being said, I love our new Outback!

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
312 Posts
Turn signals on mirrors
Auto-dim side mirrors
Keyless entry
Rain sensing wipers
Push start
Xenon headlights
The xenon headlights have been available for a while OUS - I always thought it was odd that in the US for pretty much every model except the Outback/Legacy they come as part of whatever the top trim level is (touring, limited, etc.) - why on the Impreza, but not the Outback or Legacy? I would think the Outback would stick with 17" wheels, though - the more sidewall the better for rougher terrain - also helps with ride quality.

·
Registered
'13 OB 2.5i Limited
52 Posts
I'd love a direct injection engine that gets 15% better fuel economy and 195 HP+200 ft/lbs of torque. And a 4,000 lb towing capacity.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts