Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 (Gen 5)
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some 17" wheels (for studded snow tires) for my 2019 Outback and found some 17" wheels off of a 2020 Forester. It has the right bolt pattern. How do I know if there will be enough room for brakes or if the offsets are correct? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not sure where or how to check for this and it's Sunday today so all my local tire shops are closed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,078 Posts
forester rims might have a unique offset too. (so,...not the same as outback/ legacy,...even if 17" may clear the brakes)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out the Forester wheels have an offset of 48 mm and my Outback wheels have an offset of 55 mm. So that sounds like a big of a difference.

However, when I shop for wheels at Tires Les Schwab, all the wheels say Offset: +40, or +42, or +45. So I'm still confused.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Okay, so I used http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/ to generate this comparison. I think the 48 mm will work just fine, and probably better than most of the alloy rims that I am finding online that only have a +45 mm offset which would mean a 0.39 inch outset difference per side.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
259 Posts
Why risk it unless you like the look of the '20 Forester wheels. I just got a set of '19 Outback 17" wheels for $200. They were perfect and had been on the road for less than 50 miles, they still had the stock tires on them with no visible wear.

What studded tires are you planning on? I highly recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's I put on mine:

Have fun in the snow!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why risk it unless you like the look of the '20 Forester wheels. I just got a set of '19 Outback 17" wheels for $200. They were perfect and had been on the road for less than 50 miles, they still had the stock tires on them with no visible wear.

What studded tires are you planning on? I highly recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's I put on mine:

Have fun in the snow!
I ended up getting 17" 2020 Outback wheels (costed $375) with the Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 SUV studdes now tires on them (from Discount Tire for about $1000 with 4 TPMS sensors).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts