Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great deal on set of stock rims/tires from a 2017 Legacy (225/50R18).

I know this bolt pattern is 5-114.3 & my 2010 Outback is 5-100, but I can buy wheel adapters for around $100 (and it's still a good deal).

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of any clearance issues with this, or if anybody has done this already and can recommend a suitable wheel adapter. I want the adapters to be less than 1" wide because I don't want it to look modified. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mitchell

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Convenience (Cypress Green)
6 Posts
Personally I would recommend against it because swapping out for larger rims and smaller profile tires would result in an inferior ride quality (smoothness). My preference especially on a more rugged vehicle like an outback is to have more rubber on the road/dirt than less. The thought of wheel adapters also makes me cringe simply because you are adding another point for possible wear and or failure, same goes for multi pattern rims expecting a few mm of aluminum between holes to hold up to the cars torque *cringe*. But that's just my opinion maybe you only drive in the city with a moderate climate and just want something to look better, still there is greater consideration for curbs and potholes then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would recommend against it because swapping out for larger rims and smaller profile tires would result in an inferior ride quality (smoothness). My preference especially on a more rugged vehicle like an outback is to have more rubber on the road/dirt than less. The thought of wheel adapters also makes me cringe simply because you are adding another point for possible wear and or failure, same goes for multi pattern rims expecting a few mm of aluminum between holes to hold up to the cars torque *cringe*. But that's just my opinion maybe you only drive in the city with a moderate climate and just want something to look better, still there is greater consideration for curbs and potholes then.

The Outback is my wife's and is only used for her commute to work and some family trips. This wheel/tire setup is solely for summer months (~4 months out of the year here in Michigan). I would still be using the original stock rims with snow tire for the winter time. Considering these tires would only be used 1/3 of the year, I think I will go for it. I'm just concerned that a larger diameter wheel/tire along with the added space from the adapter will cause clearance/rubbing issues. I guess we will find out! Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts