Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback 3.6R Dark Blue Pearl
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is selling a set of 225/50R18 tires with OEM wheels, I was wondering if this would work on my '18 Outback Touring that is currently running OEM wheels/tires at 225/60R18.

I asked the parts department at the local dealership and they 'could not recommend, for legal purposes'. Aside from wheel width and radius, the sidewall would be 10mm or 0.39" shorter than factory spec. I would assume this would 1) affect the AWD system, 2)affect proper odometer reading, or 3) all the above?

Any recommendations or suggestions to move forward with getting this set of 225/50R18s or should I just avoid it in general and get a correct set?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
It will affect the odometer for sure and while in theory the car's calculations/expectations regarding revolutions/distance could affect stability control and eyesight, people have not reported any problems changing tire size as long as all 4 tires are the same size.

I would only take the 50 series tires if I purposely wanted smaller tires for better torque or sharper handling from shorter sidewalls.

What OEM are these wheels coming from? Another Outback?

Reactions: PandaSmash206

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,456 Posts
A friend of mine is selling a set of 225/50R18 tires with OEM wheels, I was wondering if this would work on my '18 Outback Touring that is currently running OEM wheels/tires at 225/60R18.

I asked the parts department at the local dealership and they 'could not recommend, for legal purposes'. Aside from wheel width and radius, the sidewall would be 10mm or 0.39" shorter than factory spec. I would assume this would 1) affect the AWD system, 2)affect proper odometer reading, or 3) all the above?

Any recommendations or suggestions to move forward with getting this set of 225/50R18s or should I just avoid it in general and get a correct set?
According to Tire Size Calculator the difference is much greater than that (.88" sidewall difference, 1.76" overall height difference). I wouldn't do it, but to answer your question this will have a significant effect on your speedometer/odometer, which will therefore affect your drivability and fuel economy as there is no way that I know of to correct the car's ECU for different size tires.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I forgot to mention that you'd also need your spare tire to match the diameter of whatever you're running, so that in case you get a flat tire you don't damage your AWD from having a mis-matched spare tire.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
3 Posts
According to Tire Size Calculator the difference is much greater than that (.88" sidewall difference, 1.76" overall height difference). I wouldn't do it, but to answer your question this will have a significant effect on your speedometer/odometer, which will therefore affect your drivability and fuel economy as there is no way that I know of to correct the car's ECU for different size tires.
I had a similar question with my 1994 Shadow ES (195/60R15) vs 195/50R15 was told would effect everything Daniel mentioned and would adversely effect handling.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,456 Posts
This is a good calculator for comparing tire sizes. Don't think I'd do it and might look a little off, too.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a good calculator for comparing tire sizes. Don't think I'd do it and might look a little off, too.

View attachment 493711
View attachment 493712
Thank you for sharing!! This is helpful as it provides a good visual, and yes I agree with this data.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yea I think I may just pick it up just for the wheels since I mostly want to have another set for winter tires. Assuming it is the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern, I can likely put OEM tire sizes on the wheels since it is a 225/xxR18 afterall?

Here is a photo of the wheel and tire, they are not entirely sure what it came off of as the person they got it from gave him the wrong information. My guess is it is from a newer 2020 Forester or a Impreza model.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Assuming it is the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern, I can likely put OEM tire sizes on the wheels since it is a 225/xxR18 afterall?
Yes, and check offset.

Use them up on your autocross and drifting competitions. :)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts