Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the new model in the lineup having any effect on Outback pricing? Maybe not MSRP, but dealer incentives? I'll let everyone rush out to buy the latest and greatest first year model and likely Outback sales will take a dip, so to get rid of inventory maybe I'll be able to negotiate a better deal on a 6 cylinder Outback?

Surely Subaru will see this coming, but if someone guesses wrong on how many less H6 Outbacks they'll sell, I'll be ready with checkbook in hand!

Used car buyers will probably make out even better when the flood of Outback trade-ins start showing up.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I think you've noticed something legitimate- if the Ascent completely cannibalizes the Outback market, there will probably be deals on Outbacks. H6 are likely to get last & least discounts though.

But cannibalization didn't work last time (Tribeca) and even if it does happen now, I think other factors (general economy, auto loan rates & results of tax changes) are going to make a bigger impact.

Again looking back in history, the last time the H6 model saw real discounts, crude oil cost more than double what it does now.

Be careful what you wish for!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There'll likely be some segment of the Outback market that'll move up but not a significant number......if a buyer wanted the larger vehicle and Outback wasn't the right product, they already went elsewhere. It'll likely draw in incremental sales from the larger 7-8 passenger vehicle market segment. The family mobile, AKA the family van, is being replaced, with a similar price point, by the 7-passenger vehicles being offered by several manufacturers and SOA wants to capitalize on that shift. The Ascent could be a shorter-term market share, incremental market/revenue strategy and/or a longer-term (10-year and longer) SOA customer base retention strategy for that demographic's need for the larger vehicle shifts to a Outback class vehicle.

No successful manufacturer develops and invests in new product based upon a single strategy element......and SOA is no exception.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Im a target buyer for the Ascent. Two kids, dog with grand parents that visit.

The only big fail I see right now is with their packaging of the Touring trim. One buyer type will be the anti Minivan type. Which case second row captains chairs only in the Touring trim will loose buyers to the other brands who offer the far more useful bench seat in their upper trim models. I for one will not buy a 5+ seat suv with 2nd row captains chairs but would very much like the other Touring trim options and would pay the $$ for that trim package.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Im a target buyer for the Ascent. Two kids, dog with grand parents that visit.

The only big fail I see right now is with their packaging of the Touring trim. One buyer type will be the anti Minivan type. Which case second row captains chairs only in the Touring trim will loose buyers to the other brands who offer the far more useful bench seat in their upper trim models. I for one will not buy a 5+ seat suv with 2nd row captains chairs but would very much like the other Touring trim options and would pay the $$ for that trim package.

not that this is actually a Ascent thread, (more of a outback thread).

I think the individual dealers will be mixing and matching those 2nd row seats to fit the needs of their buyers each day.
(if subaru corp it not smart enough to offer the customers what they "need", and are willing to pay for.)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
not that this is actually a Ascent thread, (more of a outback thread).

I think the individual dealers will be mixing and matching those 2nd row seats to fit the needs of their buyers each day.
(if subaru corp it not smart enough to offer the customers what they "need", and are willing to pay for.)
Probably but there are arractive choices out there with proven engines that are quite good. That is a strong mark against the Subaru. Engine durability and transmission durability in this size of a vehicle is really important. That will be Subaru’s major negative compared to the competition. And a big reason I will shop all the options / brands I like in a yr or so when we replace two vehicles with one.

If I need to monkey with altering a brand new $45,000 vehicle to get a bench seat I simply wont be buying that vehicle especially with a unproven engine.
Id be happier to buy a 2-3 yr old loaded 2017 GMC Denali Acadia with the solid V6 and lethargic but proven 6spd AT. At a considerable price discount like half the cost of the Ascent Touring.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I agree I would rather the bench instead of CC in the second row.

We bought a Honda Pilot back in the summer of 2016 and got one of the upper trims. I think it’s the EX-L, with a bench seat. We didn’t get ge Elite or Touring trims because it went from a 6 speed transmission to a 9, and the 9 was new-ish technology and had a lot of mixed reviews... lots of gear searching.

Anyway I did order it for around 38, with a bunch of options like the roof rails and cross bars and a trailer hitch and a couple other minor things. It’s not my favorite car but my wife is he primary driver so it fills the role we were looking for. In a few years I’ll probably have her consider the Ascent... paid off in 18 more months and I’m probably going to get a new Legacy for myself soon so I don’t want to have constant car payments.

But, if the Limited is around 40k and the Touring is up around 45, that would be a hard thing to pass up, considering the Pilot is still worth around 30 at trade. I would absolutely sign for a 15k Ascent that we would drive into the dirt. She’s getting a little frustrated with a couple technology and electronic glitches in the car.

I really dislike them forcing you into certain things in the Touring trim.

If I was after a new Outback it would cost me almost the same to get a Limited and add EyeSight and a couple options compared to the Touring trim, which forces you into one interior choice and four exterior options.

It was this approach that had me actually switch gears a bit and consider a Legacy, which is my top choice.

That being said to the poster above be careful about waiting for the H6’s. There is a very strong possibility they’re going to be discontinued in the very near future. You may need to write that check sooner than you think!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
182 Posts
I doubt there will be much impact. I expect the base Ascent to be in the mid $30's. The options should be similar to a base Outback (except Eyesight will be standard). Optioning an Ascent out to be similar to a mid $30's Outback will probably bring the price up to the mid $40's. There will not be enough overlap to drive down the prices of the Outback.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
I doubt there will be much impact. I expect the base Ascent to be in the mid $30's. The options should be similar to a base Outback (except Eyesight will be standard). Optioning an Ascent out to be similar to a mid $30's Outback will probably bring the price up to the mid $40's. There will not be enough overlap to drive down the prices of the Outback.

in a litte while eyesight will be standard on everything.

except maybe STI, as eyesight needs a automatic trans. . maybe a plain jane base impreza can be had in manual too.

but this coming 2019 year: no more manual foresters. and no forester XT for this year. (I wonder if the forester XT will come right back in 2020 with a 2.4T)

(detroit autoshow opens like now so subaru's official 2019 offerings should be listed)

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,810 Posts
I think the wrong assumption is that the intended audience is made of forum-posting car folks. The intended audience is my spouse, not me.

The OB feels CAR vs TB feeling SUV. AWD? Awd (does not matter how it works etc). Big? Big! Cupholders? 19! I think they nailed it this time.

But not for me.

And if you are to showcase the thing by using dogs, maybe design an outdoors-proof interior, like others have had for ages? No need for rear locker...just a weather resistant fabric, or synthex like material; do not try to be Volvo with some fancy looking leather while telling me it is made for dogs and the outdoors.

Back to the original question, I think Ascent will come across as very different but might still take people away from OBs and Foresters, specifically those putting up with OBs and Foresters while really wanting a bigger vehicle. I am sure SoA anticipates that.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I think the wrong assumption is that the intended audience is made of forum-posting car folks. The intended audience is my spouse, not me.
Agreed.

The Ascent is for a different demographic. The only OB owners it steals are those that compromised their needs and settled for an OB.

The problem for the Ascent is Subaru is rather late to the game for that demographic. Lots of viable competition.

Doubt there will be any downward pressure on pricing due to the Ascent.

Pressure on pricing will come along when the next generation of OB comes along in 2020.

All the trade journals predict the H6 will go away with the next generation so if you want a new one now, better not put it off too long.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Lot of competition sure, but the Highlander and Pilot were blah. I didn't consider luxury third-rows (Q7, etc.), and didn't consider the super-economy brands (Hyundai, etc.) At the time we purchased, the Atlas hadn't launched yet.

But it seems like every single of of these things drives like crap. I know they're large, but man, they are certainly not agile.

It's funny, in a world where everything's bigger, bigger, bigger, I'm looking to downsize from my Outback to a Legacy. I like the idea of the Crosstrek, but I don't like the 2.0 engine (would want more) and I think the interior is a little smaller than I'm looking for.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Lot of competition sure, but the Highlander and Pilot were blah. I didn't consider luxury third-rows (Q7, etc.), and didn't consider the super-economy brands (Hyundai, etc.) At the time we purchased, the Atlas hadn't launched yet.

But it seems like every single of of these things drives like crap. I know they're large, but man, they are certainly not agile.

It's funny, in a world where everything's bigger, bigger, bigger, I'm looking to downsize from my Outback to a Legacy. I like the idea of the Crosstrek, but I don't like the 2.0 engine (would want more) and I think the interior is a little smaller than I'm looking for.
I don't find the OB all that agile, nor did I expect it to be. I came from a larger '11 GMC Acadia. Just as agile as the OB but far nicer to drive, quieter and more comfortable. Just too big for my needs.

GM's new versions of the Acadia,Traverse and Enclave are a tad smaller and more than viable competition.

As we age and our kids grow and start their own lives, many of us downsize.
Be it houses or vehicles.

The OB was my first stab at downsizing my daily driver. Not a fan of it. Don't enjoy driving it. Want something more enjoyable to drive. I don't think Subaru has anything that fits my needs.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Yeah, I miss my wife's 09 Legacy. It was fun and you could really push it into the turns without moving all over the place like the Outback.

I enjoy the practicality of the Outback, but I'm intending on downsizing again back to the Legacy. It seems like the 3.6 has a lot of zip... if you're okay with the whole CVT thing.

Did you ever consider or try the 18 Legacy? It's a lot different (in a good way) from the 09 I used to own. But, it's not a driver's car in the sense the WRX/BRZ is.

There's rumors of the LegacyGT making a return at some point in the future. I'd probably considering something like that in the long future, IE, more than 15 years from now when the kids are in college. That being said, the next purchase (Legacy 3.6) would be the "intermediary" I'm looking for.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Yeah, I miss my wife's 09 Legacy. It was fun and you could really push it into the turns without moving all over the place like the Outback.

I enjoy the practicality of the Outback, but I'm intending on downsizing again back to the Legacy. It seems like the 3.6 has a lot of zip... if you're okay with the whole CVT thing.

Did you ever consider or try the 18 Legacy? It's a lot different (in a good way) from the 09 I used to own. But, it's not a driver's car in the sense the WRX/BRZ is.

There's rumors of the LegacyGT making a return at some point in the future. I'd probably considering something like that in the long future, IE, more than 15 years from now when the kids are in college. That being said, the next purchase (Legacy 3.6) would be the "intermediary" I'm looking for.
No, have not considered the Legacy. The one thing I do like about the OB is its practicality. Not sure the Legacy offers it. Also not sure I'm quite ready to downsize that much.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I don't know what your situation is, but I almost completely discounted the Legacy. Being 6' and 220 lbs, I did feel a little cramped in the Gen4 (which ended in 2009), but the newer models (sat in a 17 last weekend and test drove an 18 about a month ago) are a lot roomier inside. It felt more like an Outback and less like the Legacy I used to know.

The trunk is very large too.

Basically, I'd be sacrificing some utility and practicality (less ground clearance and less cargo hauling capability) for more efficiency (lower to the ground, more aerodynamic) and fun factor.

Again, I'm probably in a special situation since my wife has a third-row SUV and if we needed to go somewhere or haul cargo we could just swap cars. If we didn't have the SUV I might be in a similar situation. I've been keeping track for about 8-9 months now of just how often I've truly needed the extra cargo space the Outback offered compared to a regular sedan, and it's 2 times so far... and one of those times I could probably have made it work with a little bit more thinking.

Just something to consider next time you're near a Subie shop. It was surprisingly fun.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts

I can promise you the Highlander, pilot etc drives a whole lot better than my Sequoia. After driving my brothers Highlander Id argue that the OB handling isnt that great and could be far better. The old ugly Tribeca was actually a really nice driving rig but was lousy regarding seating space space.

The Ascent numbers look really good and if they got it anywhere close to driving and handling like the old flop of a Tribeca they’ll have a contender.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The spots where the Pilot and Highlander fall short are 3rd row width and seat spacing front to rear except they got smart and use sliding 2nd row to address the spacing some. Those two numbers seem to be addressed by the Ascent.

Oh and in my area lots of dads are the primary kid hauler while moms are going big in the career move. I dont drive the V8 Sequoia for kid duty unless its 5+ seats I need. The V8 is really nice strangly very similar power numbers to the new Subaru 2.4. I dont drive the truck much for two reasons. 14mpg in town and well the OB is just a nicer driver.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.