Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of adding the Borla headers and Stromung high flow cat for some decent HP gains and MPG increase. I already have a 2.25" midpipe w/o the resonator and a OEM WRX muffler, so it will be 2.25" all the way back. I don't have to worry about emissions, etc where I am.

Do you think it will be really loud at cruising speeds? I don't want it to be obnoxious or draw to much attention.

Of couse this will crush my warranty....

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
It wont do anything to your warranty-if you ever have problems just put the stockers back on. Anyway, the stock WRX muffler will help out with the loudness equation. My system is Borla header, Stromung cat back and it's loud enough for me now, but I have planned in the future for a Random Tech cat section(or Stromung) Then it should be loud at WOT, not sure about cruising down the highway. Then I could replace the whole exhaust in a matter of minutes when needed, just drop the whole freakin' thing and put all stock back up.
Just get the header for now, and see the difference there. It should lower the rumble a little but not get too much louder than before the header. The high flow cat section is the 'loud' piece. Brian

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
Hey Brian- Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust?

I've just about got it narrowed down between borla all the way, or borla/stromung combo.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think adding one part at a time is way to go like you mention, Brian. A friend of mine in FL was going to drive another 2.5 NA with the Borla headers, no intake and larger exhaust this past weekend and give me his impressions of sound and power. Have not heard from him yet. We'll see.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I know a guy locally that had the Borla cat back, Borla header, and then added a Cobb high flow cat section. He said it sounded like crap after the addition of the high flow cat. The Borla cat back was real raspy and took away the famous low rumble sound. But that was that exact combo.
I wish I had a sound clip of my setup, it's extremely nice to the ear! Brian

Looky what I found!

Subaru exaust clips

Mine sounds like #3 and the last one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Those are some nice sounds! That #3 is real close to what I would like to have.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
troglodyte approach

did anybody see the comparative exhaust systems test in Grass Roots Motorsports a while back? not on a Sub (i think they tested a Golf), but fluid physics is fluid physics (yes, i understand that diff.s in cyl firing order etc from inline eng will affect power pulses. not sure it makes a diff aft of cat.) the local shop-bent exhaust with slightly bigger than stock pipe and Walker Dynomax muff made nearly as much power (within 1-2 hp) as almost every system except the Tectonics.

when you factor in cost/benefit ratio, i have trouble with spending the cost of a killer sound system or enough lighting to melt paint and retinas or a set of really froufrou wheels & tires or a good driver's school to gain 5-7 hp and good sound when i can get almost same power for a few hundred $. maybe get the sound system and play the pleasing exh sound clips through it instead....??? just a thought, IMHO & stuff....

ziggy brakedust
02 OBS
69 2002i turbo
81 X1/9 turbo
79 VW bus/ BMW turbo
91 R100GS (the original Outback)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing