Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on the way to work, my low engine oil light came on. What a shocker. This has never happened before. And I checked my oil level just a few days ago. When I got home today, and checked the dipstick, it was 2/3 of a quart low. And I'm only about 2,300 miles past my last oil change. So I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to schedule an oil consumption test.

When making a claim for excessive oil consumption, does the viscosity of oil that has been used come into the criteria that SOA uses to determine if you qualify? The reason I ask is I used 5W-20 for one oil change. All the other oil changes have been with 0W-20, and with the exception of one long interval when I was on vacation last year, they have all been right at the Subaru recommended 7500 mile interval.

Please, no conjecture. I'm really interested in actual experiences of those that have made excessive oil consumption claims with SOA. Was anyone refused a warranty claim because they used something other than 0W-20? Did anyone have to debate the subject with the dealership? Or have to appeal to SOA for clarificatoin?

I've got receipts that show all the maintenance on my car. But this one receipt will show a viscosity other than what is called for in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any experience with this? I'd sure like to hear from you if you have.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
928 Posts
It shouldn't matter. Bring your car in and let them know it's using oil.
They will change your oil level sensor, perform an update on ecm and perform oil change.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I believe the oil consumption limit is 1/3rd quart in 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the oil consumption limit is one quart in 1,200 miles. 2/3rds of a quart in 2,300 miles is insignificant[/QUO

Oh! I was going by what is in the Class Action Settlement letter. I states "your Engine Low Oil-Level Warning Light must illuminate within 5,000 miles of your previous oil change." Mine came on at about 3,200 miles. (I said 2300 miles earlier, but that was wrong.)

The letter continues "If the oil consumption test shows that your vehicle consumes more than one-third (1/3) of a quart of engine oil in 1,200 miles, the retailer will perform the applicable TSB Repair at no charge."

When I called the dealership, the service scheduler asked me several questions. I'm assuming she wouldn't have scheduled me for an oil consumption test if I didn't qualify.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It shouldn't matter. Bring your car in and let them know it's using oil.
They will change your oil level sensor, perform an update on ecm and perform oil change.
Thanks. That's good to hear.

I called the dealership and scheduled my oil consumption test for this Tuesday. I'm somewhat anxious about it, hoping that it comes out in my favor. My Outback has increasingly been using more oil, and I'm concerned what it will be like a couple years from now. I was really planning on this being a car I kept for 200k - 250k miles, and so it would be good to get his fixed. It is at about 93k miles right now, so if it is going to get fixed under the settlement, I've really got to do it now.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Yes, the limit is 10.7 oz per 1200 mi just as the class action letter says. For interest to others on this forum, my 2014 is using 9 oz/1200 mi and seems to be doing so consistently. I'm at 36K miles. So I'm interested in the OP experience that the oil burning is increasing. Its what I'm really worried about. For the OP, I wouldn't think that his amount of oil burning is enough to get a new block . I wouldn't bring up the use of 5w30 oil. I don't think it makes any difference and they probably wouldn't notice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
It's all 20 wt at operating temp. 0 or 5 cold wt won't matter since the inverse would be that consumption issues occur when the engine is cold and there's only minimal burning at operating temp.

They won't even look at the viscosity. They'll follow the guidelines for testing for consumption and that'll be it. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about a consumption claim that was righteous but denied because of low temperature viscosity.

Spend your time instead contemplating more interesting thing such as how much money the SLC nurse is going to recover.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all 20 wt at operating temp. 0 or 5 cold wt won't matter since the inverse would be that consumption issues occur when the engine is cold and there's only minimal burning at operating temp.

They won't even look at the viscosity. They'll follow the guidelines for testing for consumption and that'll be it. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about a consumption claim that was righteous but denied because of low temperature viscosity.

Spend your time instead contemplating more interesting thing such as how much money the SLC nurse is going to recover.
LOL!!! Thanks so much for making me chuckle. And chuckle.

You are right about both 0W-20 and 5W-20 being the same at operating temperature. And I specifically ran the 5W-20 in warmer months. But with Subaru specifically calling out 0W-20 in the Owner's Manual, I was uncertain if they would consider this a reason to not need to honor the settlement.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today was the start of the oil consumption test. The dealership checked the pcv valve, found nothing wrong, and then changed the oil and filter. Next, I go back in 1,200 miles for the check.

After the car has set for a while I'm going to go out tonight and check the level. Too many here have reported having the oil level overfilled on an oil consumption test. I'll feel better knowing that it is at the correct level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since I've been doing my own oil changes on my 2013 I rarely seen (maybe once on a long trip) low alarm levels. Usually around 5k. I started using Royal purple and it's filter. That oil change went to almost 6k before the light went off. My drive usually consist of mostly freeway.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts