Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 OB Onyx XT

These are the wheels I'm looking to get. I'm sizing down from the stock 18" to the 17", and by my research the 17x8 5x 114.3 will fit. Am i correct in my fitment calculation?

Also, I'm not familiar with the TMPS system and how it would work with the new wheels. I found a picture of them on the internet and I didn't know that that's how they look.

a) How do they connect to the car's computer?

b) Will the tire guys know to put them in the new aftermarket wheels?

c) Would the factory ones even work in the aftermarket wheels?

d) Would I need to recalibrate them?

·
Registered
319 Posts
In order for the TPMS to work properly you will likely need to purchase the sensors directly from Subaru. So they have match codes. Sensors need to be programmed into the car. I just drive around with my TPMS light on in the winter. Drove 20 years before the forced technology.

Example of process

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
These are the wheels I'm looking to get. I'm sizing down from the stock 18" to the 17", and by my research the 17x8 5x 114.3 will fit. Am i correct in my fitment calculation?
I have a 2021 Outback Limited 2.5 - depending on the trim level you either got 17's with 225/65 R17 or 18's with 225/60 R18. Both rims sizes are 7", ie. 17x7 or 18x7 so they should fit.

Also, I'm not familiar with the TMPS system and how it would work with the new wheels. I found a picture of them on the internet and I didn't know that that's how they look.

a) How do they connect to the car's computer? These Subaru's use Phase Angle Location - when the wheels turn the car knows where it's located. Easier when it comes to tire rotations in that you don't have to do anything to update the new tire location.

b) Will the tire guys know to put them in the new aftermarket wheels? They should - you can ask as well. If it were me I would get the TPMS sensors that you can clone. That way you just copy (clone) the existing sensor ID's & your Subaru will never know the difference. You can save the other rims for snow tires if needed.

c) Would the factory ones even work in the aftermarket wheels? Hard to answer - They could - ask the tire guy.

d) Would I need to recalibrate them? If they are new TPMS sensors, yes. Again, get the ones that you can clone to copy what you already have - easy set up.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts