Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?m thinking of buying a matching set of wheels and tires here. Cooper all season 205/55/16. Will these fit on my 03 outback LL Bean ?
Should I ? They look like new...

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Look like GT wheels, no?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look like GT wheels, no?
yeah, they are, the tires seem small. Not sure if it's a deal for 200 bucks, not sure how they are gonna look on my Outback. The tires are like new, but sat for a while, so minor cracking.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmph.. nevermind. not getting them. probably better to save the money for a new set of tires. then i don't have extra rims that don't match laying around.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
rims are 2002 era legacy snow flakes.

and yes they will fit almost any other 16" subaru rim of 2000-2014 as they are almost all 5x100. (except a couple STI rims of the period).

tires not worth keeping in that size.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Wheels are fine, tires are gonna look hilarious and offset speedo by a bit compared to the 225/60/16 stock size.

Suggestion: buy set for $200, is good deal. Put tires on Craigslist for whatever you can get out of them. Acquire decent tires in correct size.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,429 Posts
Those wheels will have a different offset and be farther in under the fenders. You would need spacers to pop them out to stock Outback offset.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
Those wheels will have a different offset and be farther in under the fenders. You would need spacers to pop them out to stock Outback offset.
what is the 2 offsets between those legacy wheels and typical outback wheels,...presuming they are both 6.5x16, 5x100, from 2002.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rims are 2002 era legacy snow flakes.

and yes they will fit almost any other 16" subaru rim of 2000-2014 as they are almost all 5x100. (except a couple STI rims of the period).

tires not worth keeping in that size.
Wheels are fine, tires are gonna look hilarious and offset speedo by a bit compared to the 225/60/16 stock size.

Suggestion: buy set for $200, is good deal. Put tires on Craigslist for whatever you can get out of them. Acquire decent tires in correct size.
Thanks for the feedback. The add says the rubber has some cracking, but the tires only have 500 miles on them. There in New Jersey I was thinking of making a road trip to get them. The guy is selling them on Ebay if anyone cares to grab them . Auction is over this evening soon though, if not already...
I?m gonna get my money together for another outback LL Bean or maybe if I?m lucky VDC in the 1000 to 1500 range. I?m gunning for an 04. My 03 is kicking azz still, of course with the front diff humming and leaking gear oil. I?m up to adding about 1/3 Of a botttle between oil changes of the redline heavy shockproof which is keeping it alive. The rust in the wheel wells is creeping again. Good 03 LL Bean trans and JDM H6 on standby. Almost got crazy and bought a Mercedes 300d 85 turbo diesel, but I think I better stick with what I know for now.

Hopefully whatever outback I find will have decent tires. You know the one, the one the owner gave up on after finding out it needs brakes and a CV Axel or two, with 170k miles, and a dent or two. Asking 1500 obo, so will let go for a grand if you have cash in hand, which I will, and I?ll fix, do a cheap tune up (stat, belt, bearings), and drive another 100k. See how I?ve learned? I love these cars.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The add says the rubber has some cracking, but the tires only have 500 miles on them. There in New Jersey I was thinking of making a road trip to get them. The guy is selling them on Ebay if anyone cares to grab them . Auction is over this evening soon though, if not already...
I?m gonna get my money together for another outback LL Bean or maybe if I?m lucky VDC in the 1000 to 1500 range. I?m gunning for an 04. My 03 is kicking azz still, of course with the front diff humming and leaking gear oil. I?m up to adding about 1/3 Of a botttle between oil changes of the redline heavy shockproof which is keeping it alive. The rust in the wheel wells is creeping again. Good 03 LL Bean trans and JDM H6 on standby. Almost got crazy and bought a Mercedes 300d 85 turbo diesel, but I think I better stick with what I know for now.
watch those old mercedes diesel (some were not turbo).

personally I would pass on these, as they are rims only with tiny leggy tires on them,...

you can drive up into PA and nab subaru rims on bad tires all day long.
(the used cheapo snows I bought off a member here for my 2.5 car,...I only paid $225 for,
and the tires lasted 3 seasons, getting ready to put them on again,....they are parked in the garage right next to the studded ones for the H6).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
watch those old mercedes diesel (some were not turbo).

personally I would pass on these, as they are rims only with tiny leggy tires on them,...

you can drive up into PA and nab subaru rims on bad tires all day long.
(the used cheapo snows I bought off a member here for my 2.5 car,...I only paid $225 for,
and the tires lasted 3 seasons, getting ready to put them on again,....they are parked in the garage right next to the studded ones for the H6).
Yes agreed, better to slow my roll there?s gotta be crazy good deals on subaru wheels and tires everywhere. I mean, look at how cheap you can buy the whole car... I winner how many of these cars they made. I ALWAYS find them popping up. And I don?t know why my apostrophe is coming up as a question mark, maybe cause I?m typing on my phone, so sorry bout that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
Yes agreed, better to slow my roll there?s gotta be crazy good deals on subaru wheels and tires everywhere. I mean, look at how cheap you can buy the whole car... I winner how many of these cars they made. I ALWAYS find them popping up. And I don?t know why my apostrophe is coming up as a question mark, maybe cause I?m typing on my phone, so sorry bout that.
advice:

wait for a 2001-2004 VDC to appear locally to you, listed as needing head gaskets. buy it for $500-$1000.

part your Bean into it, keep what you want, part out the rest, chuck the carcass.

(and sorry your fiberglass rust fix is starting to creep rust.

please take some pics and update your old post. might make for nice documentary thing.,...I was thinking about doing such to a few cars poking around with fist sized rust holes).

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
(and sorry your fiberglass rust fix is starting to creep rust.

please take some pics and update your old post. might make for nice documentary thing.,...I was thinking about doing such to a few cars poking around with fist sized rust holes).
I WAS getting ready to do that exact repair on Mal, but my current need for front brakes, a tie rod, and coolant issues are keeping me from any cosmetic repairs. I'ma post some pics in that thread when I hopefully get the more pressing mechanical concerns addressed, but it might have to wait until spring.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@eagleeye @AWDFTW

When I get some time I?ll try to post some pics of the rust. Actually the one spot where the rust is creeping through I didn?t use any fiberglass. the other areas are looking to hold pretty strong except for a little spot that I missed putting fiberglass. If I get another outback I plan to drive it while I put my newer transmission in the L.L. Bean, which still has a strong motor, so I don?t want to scrap that just yet. rear subframe is fine, interiors good, etc.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,318 Posts
@eagleeye @AWDFTW

When I get some time I?ll try to post some pics of the rust. Actually the one spot where the rust is creeping through I didn?t use any fiberglass. the other areas are looking to hold pretty strong except for a little spot that I missed putting fiberglass. If I get another outback I plan to drive it while I put my newer transmission in the L.L. Bean, which still has a strong motor, so I don?t want to scrap that just yet. rear subframe is fine, interiors good, etc.
you need a H6 trans that came out of bean or a cloth seat H6, or a outback H6 sedan. but not a VDC one.

if you get a JDM from that era those are all VDC and you have to insert the FWD fuse to make that type trans function.
( @AlainB did that with his H6 limited wagon in canada,...= no Bean labels sold in canada).

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
you need a H6 trans that came out of bean or a cloth seat H6, or a outback H6 sedan. but not a VDC one.

if you get a JDM from that era those are all VDC and you have to insert the FWD fuse to make that type trans function.
( @AlainB did that with his H6 limited wagon in canada,...= no Bean labels sold in canada).
yes a JDM VDC in my no VDC car with the FWD fuse in place and it works like a charm
my outback is permanent 45% front 55% rear AWD (or maybe 33% front 66% rear not sure of the real ratio of the tranny I bought) and I love it !
no need for AWD lock , which I could still activate on demand with a switch

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

yes a JDM VDC in my no VDC car with the FWD fuse in place and it works like a charm
my outback is permanent 45% front 55% rear AWD (or maybe 33% front 66% rear not sure of the real ratio of the tranny I bought) and I love it !
no need for AWD lock , which I could still activate on demand with a switch
What is AWD lock? My trans that I have is from an 02 Bean, and will work in my 03 Bean.

And, are you are saying my JDM motor will not work in an LL Bean? It worked like a charm in my 01 VDC. Sorry I?m all confused..

2nd generation Outback appeared in season 8 episode 1 Walking Dead! Haha

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
What is AWD lock? My trans that I have is from an 02 Bean, and will work in my 03 Bean.

And, are you are saying my JDM motor will not work in an LL Bean? It worked like a charm in my 01 VDC. Sorry I?m all confused..

2nd generation Outback appeared in season 8 episode 1 Walking Dead! Haha
I never talked about engines and your JDM engine will work fine don't worry I have a JDM engine too

AWD lock is when the computer on a regular outback lock the center differential for a 50-50 ratio
the car will do that when the tires are spinning

1 - 20 of 22 Posts