Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first nice day since I bought my car (~67 degrees F) so I was driving with the window down this afternoon.

I noticed when I drove above 40mph and the wind picked up on the front end there was a noticeable "buzzing" sound coming by the drivers front somewhere. It almost sounded like there was something stuck in the grill like a leaf.

I pulled over and did a quick inspection and there was nothing there. The sound isn't in the drivetrain as it comes and goes with different wind speeds hitting the vehicle as i'm driving.

When I got home I did a better inspection and still found nothing - thought maybe a tag was hanging down or something. Really odd - when you close the window you can't hear the sound.

I took a video here - you can hear it best at 15 seconds. Any ideas??

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
Couple of things there have been cases where the window glass in the new Gen4s did not have the right shape ie arch / bend and resulted in some fit vs gasket issues causing noise. I recall one person having a rattle that was a loose clamp under the dash also.

Next time the sound crops up lower the window an inch then put it back up see if the sound changes or goes away - which case its related to the window seating in the gasket. If the sound does not change chances are its something else.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know in the video the window is only partially down, but the sound even occurs with the window 100% down and inside the door. I can try what you suggested though and see if I hear a difference.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Did you look/crawl UNDER the car? You may have a plastic shopping bag dangling on the axle...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - I looked under the car when I pulled over the first time - the first thing I thought of was maybe I ran over a bag or something because that's exactly what it sounds like.

I took it out for another drive today on a country road where I had a lot of room to play around and I think I found the problem - if I fold my side mirror in the sound goes completely away!

It must be the way the wind is hitting the mirror or something - I inspected the mirror as much as I could and couldn't find anything loose that I could see. It seems like the wind is howling as it hits it.

It's actually quite annoying and i'm not sure what to do about it at this point...:28:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts