Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2020 Limited XT has much more highway wind noise than I ever expected. In fact, on a recent trip, I had periodic wind whistling on the right side. I couldn't tell if it was coming through the AC system or the right passenger window. Otherwise I love the car but I thought the new version of the outback was supposed to be very quiet. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,713 Posts
next time it sounds, try the wipers. their position or design could be causing it.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
797 Posts
Take the vehicle to the dealer and request they fix this problem.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
270 Posts
My new 2020 Limited XT has much more highway wind noise than I ever expected. In fact, on a recent trip, I had periodic wind whistling on the right side. I couldn't tell if it was coming through the AC system or the right passenger window. Otherwise I love the car but I thought the new version of the outback was supposed to be very quiet. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks.
I've never ridden in a "quiet" Subaru. Sound deadening is one thing they are apparently not concerned about in these vehicles. I've considered putting some MLV sheets in the doors, under the floor mats and lining the hatch and spare wheel/tire area and then spraying in the deadener in the wheel wells. Most people think typical dynomat materials will work, but it won't. You need proper MLV on top of it to get true sound damping from road noises. The dynomat type materials only stop or deaden sound created by vibration. You also have to understand that this will add some weight to the vehicle if that's of importance to you or not.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,306 Posts
Agreed. Our 19 was quiet, 20 even quieter. If yours isn't, compare to another on the dealer's lot to verify it's not normal, then have the service department fix it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
36 Posts
Have your dealer check the weatherstripping. I had a problem with the passenger door. It was replaced and it solved the problem. The tech told me this was a frequent warranty service item.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
20 Posts
Same issue. I have a 2020 Touring XT. Have been to the the dealership/service at least 10 times now. They are working with Subaru to resolve. The issue was only occurring at higher speeds... 75 and up. The sound was almost like a "dog whistle". High pitched whining. We thought it was resolved last month when they reinstalled the windshield but the issue wasn't resolved... the sound just moved. I spoke to the dealership yesterday... turns out it's the AC system. Only occurs when the recirculate is on. They're replacing all the seals on the AC system and are testing now.

·
Registered
2020 outback limited xt ice silver
25 Posts
It’s the fan. Whistling noise upper right corner. Fan on at high speed it whistles, fan off it stops We are going to take it in .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts