Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When I lock the windows from the driver's seat, it locks ALL windows except the driver's window (rear seat windows, AND passenger windows).

I do this to keep my toddler kids from playing with the window switch in the backseat. But then my wife can not open the window from the passenger seat.

Now my kids have figured out when my wife opens the window - so can they!

-----------------

I have never had another car where the window locks also worked the passenger seat windows.

Is there a way I can change this - or is this just a Subaru thing (this is my first Subary)???

Thanks,

Flagg

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, Subaru probably does it this way in case the driver accidentally leans against or rest his/her hand against the window controls. The lock would prevent the rear windows from accidentally rolling down.

I doubt there would be an easy fix for this.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
Subaru's have been this way since at least the late 80's. I'm not sure if the older cars with the center console switches worked the same.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a shame. I have owned several other cars where the window locks ONLY locked the rear windows. I thought that was the way window locks always worked. Even in rental cars I have had, since I have had kids, they have been this way.

I thought this was TOTALLY a child safe feature (along with being able to lock the rear doors so that they only open from the outside).

OH well. I was hoping that there was a way the dealer could reprogram this, as there are several other features that can be modified on the car.

This is one of my few complaints, on a car I am otherwise VERY happy with.

Thanks,

Flagg

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Well, there is ALWAYS a way but it is probably time prohibitive. You might be able to simply disconnect the wires that connect to the shut off switch and wire them together, re-completing the circuit and effectively bypassing the switch. If you can find the electric diagram I should be able to talk you through it.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
That is a shame. I have owned several other cars where the window locks ONLY locked the rear windows. I thought that was the way window locks always worked. Even in rental cars I have had, since I have had kids, they have been this way.
It seems to just vary between companies. I actually prefer the GM style (not sure if they still do this) where the driver still has total control over every window when they're locked.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
So annoying that the driver can' t control all the windows when the lock button is pressed. First car I have ever owned that didn't give the driver's panel control regardless of lock switch position. ...And I thought asian cars were supposed to be so "high tech" :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts