Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this problem has been posted before, but I've yet to find it.

I've been getting rattle problems on my passenger rear window and was wondering if there was any fix for it?

I recall someone makinga tutorial cleaning out the pads that guide the power windows could fix it, but I can't find it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-paK +1

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Now, is it leaking also? I mean like the weather seal it lays on. I know that Subaru can change the angle to put more pressure on the window seal if that's what you need. I'm not sure if you mean internal rattle as in something in the door, or if the window may be a little loose. Brian

·
Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It rattles when the windows are up and down. And there is no leak. Starting to hear weird noises as the car ages :(.

:D

-paK +23

·
Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some searching, I found out what "pads" looked like as seen below on the attache.

Now I need to find out the proper way to remove the door panels. :) Last time I did it with out guidance, it became a horrific project.

-paK +3

Attachments

·
Registered
'99 OUTBACK AT Green
14 Posts
Hey all
Idont have a rattle but i do have "scratching" in the same direction as the window goes down ie rear window slight arc
after seeing the pads/guides in your picture I think that these may have dirt/sand in them
so I too would appreciate the instructions on how to remove door lining correctly and if any specialty tools are required

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I think the scratching is a pretty common problem with 1st Gen Outbacks. I've got it really bad on all my windows and it looks terrible, not to mention it's irreversible.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind cleaning those pads to at least prevent any more scratching in the future.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,572 Posts
FMGreen said:
I think the scratching is a pretty common problem with 1st Gen Outbacks. I've got it really bad on all my windows and it looks terrible, not to mention it's irreversible.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind cleaning those pads to at least prevent any more scratching in the future.
Standard lapidary or blown glass 'cold working' techniques would probably work. Just a lot of hassle/elbow grease. basically 2-3 grades of silicon carbide wet-dry paper (maybe 220-320-600) and a cerium oxide polish. Might rig up an old electric tooth brush or a dremel with some pads to help out. Experiment on some window glass from the junkyard. I aslo wonder about that UV cured adhesive/filler in those windshield chip, suction cup repair kits. maybe a layer spread over the scratches would cover them (for a while).

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Yeah, but that sounds like way more work, and money, than I'm interested in putting into this.

I can still see out of them, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I found out how to clean them. I got a good number of pictures and will try to find a place to host them.

-paK +2

·
Registered
'99 OBW LTD 2.5L DOHC EJ25
65 Posts
lost thread..?

My driver's side window ratlles when I close the door while the window is half-way down...like somethin's loose. I would like to know how to fix this too.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Re: lost thread..?

robzbilder said:
My driver's side window ratlles when I close the door while the window is half-way down...like somethin's loose. I would like to know how to fix this too.
I think this is a "feature not a bug" - it seems that everyone's does this. Mine has been that way since new. It does sound bad, though.

·
Registered
'99 OBW LTD 2.5L DOHC EJ25
65 Posts
I'm not so sure...since the driver's side is more pronounced than in the passenger's side.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Window rattle

I had the same rattle in my02 outback . I took it to the dealer and he said that on these type of cars the window regulator come loose . He said bad design due to most od the weight of the glass is on the regulator . He took my door panel off and with window all the way up he said to tighten the bolts holding the window to the track. Sorry if not to clear.

Mike

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Ltd, 2.5L 4 Cyl
48 Posts
Thought I'd dig up an old thread. Over the last two months, my 2000 OBW has developed an incredibly annoying rattle in the front right passenger door. It only happens with the window up all the way. Even lowering it a quarter inch -- not quite below the seal -- stops the rattle. As someone who hates little noises and rattles, this is maddening! :) Does anyone have an idea where the noise might be coming from? Could it be related to the regulator mentioned in the preceding post?

I also have a new noise that seems to be coming from the roof toward the back of the car, but I'm finding it difficult to localize while I'm driving. This is kind of a creaking noise rather than a rattle. It's quiet, but still noticable. I'm not 100% certain that it's not something in the cargo tray in the back, but it does sound like it's in the roof, not the back. The window rattle is what I need to get rid of, though, so any suggestions would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT
1,045 Posts
Think I've determined this is where my rattle is coming from...same door too. I can "jiggle" the window if I grab the top and shake it and hear some slight "clanking". The other door doesn't do this. Gonna bring it in to get fixed along with the sunglass cubby that has never worked right...I assume it's supposed to open when you press it? :8:

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone come up with remedy the front driver area dash stated rattling usually at red lights then the window....if I open a bit (at red light) it stopps...now today it rattles all the time.

5 am need quiet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts