Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to the community:
2018 2.5i limited. i just replaced the battery, and now the window switches are freaking out. driver's side controls for driver and passenger auto up/down do not work. windows will operate from individual windows' switches.
i couldn't find any reset info in the menus in either the head unit or instrument cluster screens. couldn't find anything in the manual about it. forum search was not helpful.
any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,922 Posts
Yikes. This works for my 2015:

Go to your owner's manual. In the INDEX, look up WINDOWS, it will direct you to the section. That section describes all the functions, including how to re-initialize them.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,822 Posts
2018 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 2-37. There are also literally dozens of threads on this forum dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Happens any time you disconnect the battery. Manual shows how to reset them. Quick and easy.

Reactions: Carl Abrams

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
352 Posts
This guy has few kind words for Subaru window switch engineering.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
590 Posts
What’s interesting is that I had to reinitialize the windows when changing the battery on my 19, but not on my 20. Do you suppose this is another long time Subaru quirk that has been eliminated?

·
Registered
2019 Outback
30 Posts
My 2019 2.5 7.5 K

Problem started today while normal driving. No issues with battery, ignition.

The passenger window stops midway, switch in drivers door and passenger door will raise or lower but it returns to mid point. Is this fixed with the reset on page 2-35?

Thanks

John
Boise Idaho

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
643 Posts
What’s interesting is that I had to reinitialize the windows when changing the battery on my 19, but not on my 20. Do you suppose this is another long time Subaru quirk that has been eliminated?
You just got lucky with the 20. When you replace a battery, you just don't know what is going to go stupid and what will not need to be reset. On my 17, after replacing the battery the tailgate power lift was the only thing needing reset.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,442 Posts
My 2019 2.5 7.5 K

Problem started today while normal driving. No issues with battery, ignition.

The passenger window stops midway, switch in drivers door and passenger door will raise or lower but it returns to mid point. Is this fixed with the reset on page 2-35?

Thanks

John
Boise Idaho
Does it go to the top and then open halfway when closing? That's a different problem and the reset procedure most likely will not help, but it's easy enough to do, so why not try it anyway.

Most likely something is binding at the top of the window travel. Dollars to donuts it's the window track. As a short-term fix to get the window closed, roll it almost all the way up without using the Auto-close function (pull the switch up only a little and release as it's getting close to fully closed), stop, then close it the rest of the way.

Lubricating the upper part of the track with suitable dry lubricant will probably help, but may have to be "refreshed" from time to time (WalMart sells a 3-in-1 lubricant for RV sliding windows). If that doesn't help, or you don't want to deal with it and the problem can be reproduced on demand, take it to the dealer and let them worry about it under warranty.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You just got lucky with the 20. When you replace a battery, you just don't know what is going to go stupid and what will not need to be reset. On my 17, after replacing the battery the tailgate power lift was the only thing needing reset.
same has happened to me at least once where the windows didn't need a reset after disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
30 Posts
Does it go to the top and then open halfway when closing? That's a different problem and the reset procedure most likely will not help, but it's easy enough to do, so why not try it anyway.

Most likely something is binding at the top of the window travel. Dollars to donuts it's the window track. As a short-term fix to get the window closed, roll it almost all the way up without using the Auto-close function (pull the switch up only a little and release as it's getting close to fully closed), stop, then close it the rest of the way.

Lubricating the upper part of the track with suitable dry lubricant will probably help, but may have to be "refreshed" from time to time (WalMart sells a 3-in-1 lubricant for RV sliding windows). If that doesn't help, or you don't want to deal with it and the problem can be reproduced on demand, take it to the dealer and let them worry about it under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
30 Posts
Thanks, I will check the track, but no passengers or kids issues, but it could be something in the track. I did try the typical reset with no luck and di make an appointment with my selling dealer here In Boise for Tuesday.
More later....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts