Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the tint percentage is on the rear windows? Once everything reopens after corona, I want to get the front windows tinted to match. Going from a vehicle with ceramic tinted windows to one with no tint on the front is killing me, lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same here. Amazing how the lack of tint (i went from a car that was matched to rear to this Outback without it). Following the thread ! And BTW I haven't gotten a good answer on what the best match is.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I’m pretty sure factory is “20%”. My tint shop it read around 25% from their tool so that’s what they put on the front. I have to say I don’t see a difference front to back.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,723 Posts
EDTX previously posted: Whatever tint you apply multiply the factory tint VLT by the new tints VLT to get the resulting new VLT...I received information from Subaru which indicated that the front sides have 75% VLT..rear sides have 20% VLT and the hatch 25% VLT. This applies to the upper level trims..I am assuming the Onyx is considered to be in that grouping.
EDTX Posting Link
Still looking for the table of all percentages

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,763 Posts

Within the thread, visible light transmittance chart is also provided.

Reactions: ArF193

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,763 Posts
Same here. Amazing how the lack of tint (i went from a car that was matched to rear to this Outback without it). Following the thread ! And BTW I haven't gotten a good answer on what the best match is.
I have F1 Pinnacle 30% on my front doors and triangle windows and the match is very good IMO. The rear doors and hatch were left stock. The first image is before aftermarket tint.

Next image is with 30% F1 Pinnacle on doors.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
I can't quite remember what the fronts metered out to, but I remember everything behind the b-pillar read 25%. I had my shop do 18% on the fronts, and 70% every other panel of glass, including the windshield and sunroof (everything ceramic). The effective transmission up front is actually less than the rear, but due to more light coming in from the windshield, it looks uniform. I had 35% up front originally, but under direct sunlight, it was light enough to clearly see everything inside the car, which I didn't want.

If you're only doing the front windows, I think 35% up front would give you a better visual match to the rear. However, I think it's very worth it to at least get a 70% ceramic on all the others to cut down on heat, especially the windshield.

Here's what mine looks like now. First pic, sun is out but the car's in the shade. Second pic is on an overcast day.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah factory says tint on rear sides 20% but like person above, my tint guy metered them at 25% on my 2021 Subaru Outback Touring. I got 35% ceramic tint on my front windows to stay legal-ish or at least not give the police a reason to pull me over. Even though it doesn’t match the rear, it‘s not quite such a jarring contrast among the windows and the increased UV protection should help preserve the Napa leather interior.

Before tinting

With 35% ceramic on front windows.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Yeah factory says tint on rear sides 20% but like person above, my tint guy metered them at 25% on my 2021 Subaru Outback Touring. I got 35% ceramic tint on my front windows to stay legal-ish or at least not give the police a reason to pull me over. Even though it doesn’t match the rear, it‘s not quite such a jarring contrast among the windows and the increased UV protection should help preserve the Napa leather interior. View attachment 505520
Before tinting

View attachment 505521
With 35% ceramic on front windows.
I did exactly the same and think it works well. XPEL ceramic 35%.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
478 Posts
We metered mine at around 18-20% on the factory tint. If you were to match the rears with Xpel film, I would suggest going with XR+ 20%. Your mileage may vary across different brands, so make sure your installer lays a piece of scrap over it so you can see it first hand before they actually tint it.

On mine we laid Xpel Prime XR+ 5% over all the rear glass, XR+15% on the driver and passenger glass, and then XR+ 70% over the entire front windshield and a 5% brow that drops almost 8 inches. The rear class now meters around 2% at most. Even on the brightest days it's still nice and dark in the cabin and keeps it relatively cool.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
7 Posts
I have F1 Pinnacle 30% on my front doors and triangle windows and the match is very good IMO. The rear doors and hatch were left stock. The first image is before aftermarket tint.

View attachment 482412

Next image is with 30% F1 Pinnacle on doors.

View attachment 482413
did you by chance do the front windshield and if not was it cause of the cameras?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,763 Posts
did you by chance do the front windshield and if not was it cause of the cameras?
I didn't do the front windshield but others have used 80-90% (llumar AIR) heat rejection film and seem to be doing fine with Eyesight not complaining. My tinter actually refused to do it but someone else who went to the same tint shop with a 2020 Outback had it done. If I had pressed them they probably would have as well, but I don't make long drives with the sun in my face but if I did I would consider it.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
478 Posts
Did doing your windshield in clear affect your eyesight? Any errors? @EgregiousBlunder
@Tifftorr
At 70% it will not and even the low brow does not mess with it much at 5% and being almost 8 inches down. Your own experiences may vary depending on the film quality and type of tint they use. Mine is all nano-ceramic and non-metallic. Just note that any metallic tints may interfere with it more than other tints. But 70% and no brow or a very short brow should not effect it at all. And keep in mind, I also have a layer of ExoShield over the outer glass as well and that eyesight thing is always blithering about my driving lol.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,859 Posts
I'm at the shop getting my windows tinted. The guy metered the back windows and they are at 25%.

I'm getting Llumar pinnacle 25% to match the rest of the windows. Also getting the moon roof tinted for extra IR and UV rejection.

EDIT: Here it is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.