Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to get the windows of my 2013 outback tinted in Las Vegas, NV, where I imagine it's pretty important.

I hear a lot about ceramic films, but are they worth the extra price? What about nanoparticle films? Are they worth or are they just some some sort of buzzword ripoff?

I also hear a lot about the Llumar front windshield film. Any thoughts on that? Does it make a difference? Does it cause any problems

Any recommendations on where to get the tinting job done in Las Vegas?

Thanks,
U932

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
I imagine you already have the rear windows and back window tinted with the "privacy glass" from the factory, so it would make sense to get the front windows tinted to match. I believe the factory tint is 19% and most people go with 18% or 20% to match (probably 18% since you're in Vegas).

I can't speak to having the front windshield tinted as that would be highly illegal in NJ. I understand that you need some insulation from the sun and high temperatures in Las Vegas, just try and get something that you can still see out at night :29:

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
There are companies that tint the complete windshield, but its not really a "tint". Its more of a UV protectant that also reduces glare. Unless the sunlight hits it just right, you can hardly tell its there. Works really good. I had one of my trucks done when I lived in NM.

Either way you go, you want excellent UV protection in LV. Think faded interior. A reputable company will give you at least a 10 year warranty on the film, so think of it as a long term investment. I paid about $250 to have the VDC tinted the way it is now. It didn't have any tint when I took it in.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
I went 30 for the front windows and 15 for the rest, here in texas the lowest you can go in the front i was told was 25

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
312 Posts
Most tint manufacturers have info sheets on their website with performance characteristics (UV rejection, heat rejection, light transmission, etc.) - for heat rejection, the ceramic films generally outperform most others. The exception I found is the 3M crystalline (a multilayer film - something like 200 layers) which has excellent properties at a given light transmission.

If you drive at night, make sure you can live with whatever you pick beforehand - lots of folks go really dark (10-20%) which is hard to see through at night.

For UV, most films block 99%+ - also, the UV transmission through the windshield is very low already (Subaru claims 0%) due to the laminated nature (already has a plastic film in it) - so unless you are looking to improve heat rejection, there's no need to tint the windshield. (most folks use a screen when they are out of the car, anyway - to keep direct sun off the interior so it's not quite so hot when you get in the car.

Are you new to Vegas? It gets alarmingly hot there in the summer! I have had a few meetings out there in the June/July time - it's ridiculously hot and the sun is very intense there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts