Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my rear passenger windows are frozen shut! 17 degrees is just not that cold! It's not as if it had rained and then frozen. Anyone else with this problem? (front windows are fine).

(Sorry, should have specified: 2005 OBXT)

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Better watch out. PT in VT will be back on the window frame soap box again. In this case, though, I'd tend to agree with him; there's definitely an interior moisture issue in the Outback in general, and some of it may be due to leakage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was carting around some soggy umbrellas for a bit (although they have been out for a few days). Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mudge said:
Better watch out. PT in VT will be back on the window frame soap box again. In this case, though, I'd tend to agree with him; there's definitely an interior moisture issue in the Outback in general, and some of it may be due to leakage.
Funny you should mention that. As we've had +/- single digit temps in Vermont the last couple days, despite my automatic starter warming up the car: even though the DOORS have no freezing/opening/closing issues, my WINDOWS have been crazy stuck. Even opening/closing/slamming the doors and pounding on the windows doesn't seem to jar them free.

I don't know the history of my car - anything could have happened to it in it's first 30K miles, so anything's possible... but the car is so **** clean and trouble-free otherwise I too have to wonder what's the deal here :)

-Peter
(one month of factory warranty left and wondering if this is worth a dealer visit)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Strange, I don't have any problems like that with my 98, in the same weather (5 degrees at startup yesterday). I was driving yesterday morning with the driver's window open a few inches so my breath wouldn't fog the windshield.

OTOH my digital camera was crapping out big time in those temps when I was in Detroit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing that's a little odd is that the "sticking point" is where the window meets the door, not along the top window seal (i.e. it is still stuck even with the door open). I'm also puzzled why the front windows seem fine. Are the motors for the front stronger, or is there a more complex explanation?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Those strips are called "felts" on some cars.

One wild suggestion, maybe try some of that silicone dry spray lube on the bottom inch of the glass. Or maybe Rain-X..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
careful with lube on the window. until you've seen the interior of the track assy and know it won't mess anything up, i wouldn't. sometimes friction between guide rollers and glass is impt for it to work right; not sure if this is true with Sub.s.

yeah, i'd definitely take in for warr work as this ain't normal. when you try to open em, does the motor just stop due to freezing , or do you hear it continuing to run but no window movement?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cptoversteer --

I'm not sure if the 2nd half of your response was intended for me or Peter. That said . . .

When I hit the passenger window switch, you can see the window shift down a few millimeters and then stop. I didn't want to damage the motor, so I didn't sit on the switch to see what would happen. Does that tell you anything?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
r-

sorry, you're right, i was talking to PT on that part.

on yr windows, yeah. seems like yr freezing problem is further down in door; if window was frozen to felt strip, it shouldn't move even a few mil. how old is your car? is it possible that it isn't just frozen, but that cold "precipitated" some other problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
rgombine
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing