Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EDM H6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a second hand Outback, both the rear gate and rear windows had awful window tints (chipping, bubbles, things under the tint), on rear gate, there was a double window tint, as far as I know, the rear passenger windows had singular window tints that had the worst application in the world

I got all the window tints removed (they carve the goo with a razor, after spraying it with water, definitely an invasive operation, the collateral was low, lost a small piece of rubber on one window), and now the car is beautifully clean, only the trunk side window tints are remaining, and I will most likely get them removed too, since I hate the application

At the same time, the double tint on the rear gate got me thinking, and I realised the first coat was likely the factory window tint, after the window tints are removed, the car is really clean, but it gets super hot inside, unbelievably hot, it's like an oven, even though the interior is beige

I also try to keep the originality of things, so if the car was tinted at the factory, I kind of want to get it re-tinted, tho I'm obviously looking for trouble

My questions are:
1) Can anyone describe the factory tints, is it just the rear passenger side windows, rear trunk side windows and rear gate, and at what percentage/color?
2) [Opinion] Should I go for it? - Or just live with an issue-less, clean and hot car? (even though the car is meant as a pleasure/offroad vehicle, I don't like the idea of buying groceries, and get them subjected to heat)

The shop I got the tints removed at had Llumar films, but it seems Llumar leaves a lot of goo too, they also had something like "Magnet", it seems magnet doesn't leave residue, I googled but came up empty

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
96 Posts
In the US factory tint is a pigment in the glass and can't be removed. Most likely your tint was an aftermarket job.
Most newer vehicles made for the US market come with factory tint on all windows except the front windshield and front driver/passenger windows. The factory tint reduces glare and increases privacy but doesn't reduce heat transmission and UV rays. Aftermarket tints are very common in our hotter climates and make up for the factory tint shortcomings. Turkey can get hot so I would recommend it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
Tinting is a must as far as I'm concerned! I was stationed at Princlik AS near Diyarbakir in 95&96. Where are you?

·
Registered
2007 EDM H6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the US factory tint is a pigment in the glass and can't be removed.
That's valuable information, thank you

The double-tint was a bit bizarre, since the rear window has the radio wires on it, I first suspected whether it was some sort of protective tint, probably not tho

(As a side information, I had the rear gate parts removed at the time, trying to improve radio reception, removing the films didn't change anything)

After a bit research, the 3M Crystalline and the Llumar Air series seems really interesting, I guess I will try to live with tintless windows for a year and see how it goes, if I can

·
Registered
08 Outback 2.5I
33 Posts
I would go for it. I have tint on my OB it's not very dark at all (guessing around 55% maybe).

When I'm on road trips with the dog, it still gets super hot back there because of all the windows because of how light the tint is. If I could afford to replace it I absolutely would. Having said that, I can absolutely tell when I leave the windows down.

Weird at the double film. I had a place here in colorado that wanted to do it.

The crystalline film are supposed to be really nice. That was going to be my choice for replacement if I got mine redone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Although I don't like in Ankara I have been there a few times and for sure you need tint. I don't even drive a new car a week until I get it tinted now. I live in the SE USA and it is also hot here so I consider it mandatory. Just make sure you get a good brand with a life time warranty. Ive never had one bubble up yet and I have had 4-5 cars tinted

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
When I was getting my fronts tinted on my 2014 limited the guy said that the factory tint starting in 2013 reduces the heat and UV, but couldn't tell me by how much. I would sure like to find this information any one know for sure? can you provide a source?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
475 Posts
Factory tint is just colored glass. I added a professional applied tint with UV ray protection. I love it. Absolutely necessary in the Nevada sun. Makes a huge difference in temperature.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
I highly recommend ceramic, 3M or Llumar if you can afford it. Even a cheapo ceramic is superior to most other tint. They are so crystal clear and the heat blocking is unmatched. If heat blocking is the main reason you have to go all the way around. You can get a 0% to 5% on the windshield and yes it will still block the heat. Better than a windshield shade. The window channels are so deep on Outbacks you will want to find someone who really knows what they are doing. Won't be cheap to have it done right but will be worth every penny!

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
78 Posts
I can highly recommend Llumar Air 80, we have it in our Outback and I just got it installed today in my new commuter car. Very light shade (barely noticeable), but at the same time provides for significant heat reduction, and of course UVA protection. Both vehicles have the tint on all windows except wind shield. The difference on a hot day is very noticeable.

At least as far as the Llumar brand goes, I found this to be the best compromise for heat reduction vs shade. I don't like too dark of a tint because it makes driving at night difficult (plus many states have tint laws that place limits). And I don't want to experiment with the metallized tints in terms of cell phone reception. They have a nice table: http://w3.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarSpecsAutoDomestic.pdf

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
96 Posts
I chose the Johnson IR 35% for all windows (can do all except windshield in TX) + sunroof. I'm quite pleased with heat and glare reduction.
Johnson had a price advantage over 3M Ceramic and Llumar Comfort.

·
Registered
2002 LL Bean
32 Posts
I had mine done professionally. They used 3m and baked it with heat lamps before returning the car.

I bought the outback specifically for hauling my photo gear. Back windows were done with darkest tint available. Front doors with WA legal tint which is 24% VLT. Shop that did it charged me $250 and frankly, I wouldn't do it myself for that. Turn the car from being a mobile green house to something much more pleasant to be in.

Any shop that recommends adding a layer of tint to a non-factory tinted window is crap. Run away fast. Factory tinting is tinted glass, not tinted with film. It is perfectly fine to apply tint film on that glass.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I chose the Johnson IR 35% for all windows (can do all except windshield in TX) + sunroof. I'm quite pleased with heat and glare reduction.
Johnson had a price advantage over 3M Ceramic and llumar Comfort.
I am in Tx had all windows done with llumar air 80, including w/s. Installer told me no state inspection hassles since this tint is almost invisible, so far so good. Installer left a cutout for the reg. sticker and tinted over the EZ tag.

There is a 3m crystalline film with 10% visible light transmission, and less heat blocking than air 80, that they make specifically for windshields, but it costs way too much, is hard to find, and I went for air 80 all around.

My gen OB has no heat blocking built in to the glass. Your gen does, but if I had one I'd still probably get a tint like air blue 80 on the w/s and front windows for the extra comfort and heat blocking. No issues driving at night with a light w/s tint BTW.

Biggest problem was finding an installer who understood what I was talking about since most of them think tint = $99 rock star limo job.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2002 LL Bean
32 Posts
Cool. I did a check and it is legal in my state (WA). They list a dealer that I've used before so going to check it out this week. I had never heard of it before so curious what the dealer has to say.

I suspect I'm going to have to wait to get it done. With our current heat wave I'm sure the tint shops are busy.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Cool. I did a check and it is legal in my state (WA). They list a dealer that I've used before so going to check it out this week. I had never heard of it before so curious what the dealer has to say.

I suspect I'm going to have to wait to get it done. With our current heat wave I'm sure the tint shops are busy.
My guess would be on a 2000 OB w/s the air blue 80 would be all but invisible (like on my 2012 OB) but you would have a very noticeable/welcome reduction of heat and glare, which is the whole point of putting this film on.
Starting 2014 or 2015 Legacy and OB got heat blocking glass from the factory but those of us with older cars are stuck with old tech and need tinted film to make up the difference.
see attached llumar brochure
Let us know what you do.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts