Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 2020 Outback, notice when hitting low sunlight, there are thousands of tiny dots on windshield and other windows, almost looks like pitted, but it’s on all windows and I haven’t been in any sand or conditions to cause pitting. Have tried cleaning with window cleaner. You can’t see them in the shade, only sunlight. Plan on taking it to the dealer, any others have this problem?

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
294 Posts
I have not seen that problem, you are doing the correct thing, take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Just got a new 2020 Outback, notice when hitting low sunlight, there are thousands of tiny dots on windshield and other windows, almost looks like pitted, but it’s on all windows and I haven’t been in any sand or conditions to cause pitting. Have tried cleaning with window cleaner. You can’t see them in the shade, only sunlight. Plan on taking it to the dealer, any others have this problem?
I’ve seen it on the older outgoing model. A very clean windshield with the sun at an oblique angle will light that stuff up. Otherwise they look perfectly clean. No idea why.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
409 Posts
Just got a new 2020 Outback, notice when hitting low sunlight, there are thousands of tiny dots on windshield and other windows, almost looks like pitted, but it’s on all windows and I haven’t been in any sand or conditions to cause pitting. Have tried cleaning with window cleaner. You can’t see them in the shade, only sunlight. Plan on taking it to the dealer, any others have this
I have the same thing on a newly installed windshield. Worse when driving into rising or setting sun. Prevous windshield on 2015 out back spontaneously cracked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2020 Touring Outback has the same problem. Tangent light at night causes a distracting light show. I’ve scrubbed it, polished it, all without a change. Anybody have any new info?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just visited my dealer. They had never heard of this problem. They listened and saw the windshield light show. I now have a service appointment at the end of the month. I will be calling corporate today to inform them about this as well. The safety/vision piece of this is real for me. So far, the Subaru folks have been good. The adventure begins.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
634 Posts
We noticed it on our 2019. It doesn't bother us much and ignore it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
170 Posts
I have cleaned it with everything short of a clay bar. No help. Really, should I have to use a clay bar on my windshield? Anyway, the process has started.
Chemical Guys has a video about cleaning windshields that includes clay barring to remove embedded junk.
I know it pulls stuff cleaners do not. It worked on my paint when nothing else did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought ours a month ago and same issue. Took it in for the one month check and the technician had no idea, but said now that I mentioned it he saw it on a few others. Following up with the dealer now

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
We just bought ours a month ago and same issue. Took it in for the one month check and the technician had no idea, but said now that I mentioned it he saw it on a few others. Following up with the dealer now
If at all possible could you take a photo so that others know what to look for? I don't think I have that issue in my car but would be glad to try to see if I can replicate the conditions. I have had an issue on a different car when I used a microfiber on the interior glass and it left tiny fibers that caught the light - using a damp cotton cloth removed them all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My windshield (2020 Outback) had sparkles everywhere that became visible at night when streetlights cast tangent light across it. It was awful. I took it to the dealer, with a video of the phenomenon (it is not visible in daylight). The dealer then received clearance to replace the windshield. After replacement the problem was gone. This must be a problem with the glass. I suggest taking a video as the the sparkles dance across the windshield, and then taking it to the dealer for replacement.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,481 Posts
i'd be tempted to very carefully 'test clean' an easy to examine area with acetone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts