Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,642 Posts
i'd be tempted to very carefully 'test clean' an easy to examine area with acetone.
I'd take a razor blade and try scraping a small area to see if that helps. Make sure it's a new safety razor that can't scratch the glass.

Reactions: airlia101

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,016 Posts
Adhesive from transport film?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
947 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
386 Posts
I'd take a razor blade and try scraping a small area to see if that helps. Make sure it's a new safety razor that can't scratch the glass.
I was gonna suggest a razor, too. Disagree about a safety razor, though maybe I just misunderstand you.
I've used just a plain single-edge utility blade before myself:

Just run it as flat as possible along the glass, with soap & water. DON'T PRESS DOWN! (not any more than you need to keep it in contact) -- just make a pass, clean the blade, make another pass, etc. Takes off all sorts of dirt really easy, but on very curved glass it's much riskier, easier to scratch it b/c not sitting flush (like the rear window... ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️)

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
386 Posts
Also, for those who are seeing this on your own car, have you tried cleaning the inside, too? I can't tell if all the attention so far was just the outside.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
56 Posts
+1 on microfiber lint.

I use SprayAway ammoniated glass cleaner very sparingly to clean then buff with newspaper.

I clean at an angle into the sun with poliorized sunglasses.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,642 Posts
I was gonna suggest a razor, too. Disagree about a safety razor, though maybe I just misunderstand you.
I've used just a plain single-edge utility blade before myself:
View attachment 489921
Just run it as flat as possible along the glass, with soap & water. DON'T PRESS DOWN! (not any more than you need to keep it in contact) -- just make a pass, clean the blade, make another pass, etc. Takes off all sorts of dirt really easy, but on very curved glass it's much riskier, easier to scratch it b/c not sitting flush (like the rear window... ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️)
No, I meant a single edge as you show. :)

Reactions: airlia101

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
i only see the sparkle after YEARS of driving....it is caused by the constant barrage of sand, etc against the windshield

21 - 28 of 28 Posts