Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
632 Posts
1091 miles and picked up a chip already. Wasn’t even that big a ding when I heard it. I like the car but that’s some crappy glass. I’m not very happy. 2022 Premium.
Join the automotive world.

There are a LOT of complaints about windshield chips & cracks across many makes of vehicles. That doesn't make the Subaru glass issue any better, but it seems to be a bit more common with other automotive makes than what we perceive in this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1091 miles and picked up a chip already. Wasn’t even that big a ding when I heard it. I like the car but that’s some crappy glass. I’m not very happy. 2022 Premium.
Yeah, three weeks to the day that I picked mine up, there is a crack. No stone kicked up, no bumps/bruises. Just go out to the car, and there is a 12" x 18" crack in the windshield. And like you, I'm not very happy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dude chips and cracks happen. I caught a rock while doing 70 from a tractortrailer going the opposite direction. It chipped. I brought it to safelite they epoxied it (or whatever they do) and it had been good for another year plus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Less than 400 miles on my wilderness and already have chips in the center and outer areas of the windshield. Never heard any impact and I am a very cautious driver, already knowing how bad these Windshields are. Called SOA and am taking it into the dealer this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to update in case this happens to anyone else. I called SOA and opened a case with them. I made an appointment with a dealer near me (I purchased my OBW from a dealer over an hour away). I emailed the SOA representative with the appointment details and she called talked with the service department at the dealership ahead of time so the inspection took all of 3 minutes. The next day, she had already called the dealership to follow up on my appointment and SOA is paying for a full windshield replacement and calibration.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,253 Posts
It's free to replace if you have good insurance. Unless you live out alone in the country you should look into getting windshield damage added to your policy. It's well worth it.
Please elaborate. By good insurance, do you mean having a no deductable comprehensive coverate? I have spoken to State Farm (Im in California) , and they have nothing separate for windshield glass. There is no additional benefit to add, as its just part of comprehensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Progressive insurance and confirmed with them that my deductible ($100) includes both replacement and calibration. I am in WI and we don’t have additional coverage to add either, just comprehensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Were yours due to impact and Subaru of America still covered replacement?

My first broken windshield happened in the first month on a roadtrip. Fixed/calibrated by Safelite.

My second broken windshield happened last month on my second roadtrip. Actually this time, I have one giant crack that keeps growing and several small chips from this last roadtrip. Ugh.

Just wanted to update in case this happens to anyone else. I called SOA and opened a case with them. I made an appointment with a dealer near me (I purchased my OBW from a dealer over an hour away). I emailed the SOA representative with the appointment details and she called talked with the service department at the dealership ahead of time so the inspection took all of 3 minutes. The next day, she had already called the dealership to follow up on my appointment and SOA is paying for a full windshield replacement and calibration.

·
Registered
362 Posts
1976 Chevy Monte Carlo, original windshield, beat all the h**l and back, rock chips. Never broke or cracked in 30 years.
2022 Subaru, unseen chip from outer space, spider webs the glass a month after purchase.

Car makers are making glass thinner than ever to lighten up the cars. Same with sheet metal, you can dent your fender with your thumb. Welcome to the new green world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were yours due to impact and Subaru of America still covered replacement?

My first broken windshield happened in the first month on a roadtrip. Fixed/calibrated by Safelite.

My second broken windshield happened last month on my second roadtrip. Actually this time, I have one giant crack that keeps growing and several small chips from this last roadtrip. Ugh.
That sucks!!!

The dealer said that the chips were from “some sort of impact” and that SOA basically needed them to confirm the damage. He literally looked at it for about 1-2 minutes and said he would write up an estimate and have it ready for the SOA representative when she called him the following day.

It must have happened on my commute to work… on a highway, early in the morning when there wasn’t a lot of traffic. I didn’t hear anything hit my windshield that would have amounted to the deep chip in the center, and other smaller chips to the side of the windshield.
Regardless, after having the brand new OBW for less than a week, there should not have been chips like that. Both the dealer and SOA representative agreed with me and SOA is covering the replacement and calibration as a “show of good faith”.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts