Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1996 Outback a few months ago. Whenever it rains we get water in the passenger compartment. I removed the cowl and cleared the drains but that did not fix the leak.

After looking at some other cars I see that there should be a rubber seal at the bottom of the windshield. Mine is missing. The sides and the top of the windshield are sealed but not the bottom. The dealer parts department wasn't much help.

Has anyone solved this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- RAG --

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Unless it's a poorly-installed windshield the urethane that seals/mounts the glass that you can't see would be more relevant than the moulding. The moulding around the sides/top is just for looks really. The urethane does all the work/sealing, so the bottom seal shouldn't be particularly necessary.

Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drains often clog and flood the passenger compartment.

Beyond that, other things to check: condensation drain on the evaporator (passenger side floorboard). . . if it's unhooked or has come out of the hole in the firewall it will leak water any time you run the AC, and could also pick up spray from the tires.

·
Registered
98 OB
47 Posts
Late to the game but here was my fix:

One of the cowling fasteners is right over the fresh air intake (passenger side). If the end fastener (black fastener) is not secured or gets mangles over time (or bad windshield repair job) water will make it's way through this fastener and drip through the air intake.
My solution (while waiting for new fasteners) was to reach in and place a plastic cover (cut from a 2 litre pop bottle) over the intake so any water getting through the fastener is diverted away.

I got my fix from watching this:

I was at my wit's end until I found the above solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts