Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up and noticed my windshield has a crack on it :( What is the chance Subaru replaces the windshield under warranty? I called SOA and was told that if the dealer finds the crack was not caused by an impact, they will replace it under warranty. Do you think the crack was caused by an impact? I attached some pictures.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,269 Posts
I also agree that looks like an impact.

Seagrass

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
542 Posts
Safelite, you should have glass coverage on your auto insurance. Don t go to dealer for windshield. They give it to glass place anyway, looks like impact.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,500 Posts
If the windshield is replaced the poster will need to recalibrate EyeSight cameras.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
119 Posts
If the windshield is replaced the poster will need to recalibrate EyeSight cameras.
I had a 2015 Outback and had 2 windshields replaced and never had eye sight
re calibrated. After the replacement I was told if you get an error on eye sight then have it done, but that never happened to my vehicle...

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
542 Posts
most have not needed re cal but safelite can do that too but you d need to go to their shop. They can t do it mobile at least in my area. BTW my insurance covers that too.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,500 Posts
It might also be worth looking into any extra coverages for glass work. I have family that has a separate $50 deductible for all glass work claims - but you have to opt in and request it. Unfortunately my personal insurance doesn’t offer this and it is a part of my comprehensive coverage. When my wife’s windshield needed replacement, I had to pay my $500 deductible for comprehensive and funny enough, the windshield replacement was like $517 total.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
542 Posts
It might also be worth looking into any extra coverages for glass work. I have family that has a separate $50 deductible for all glass work claims - but you have to opt in and request it. Unfortunately my personal insurance doesn’t offer this and it is a part of my comprehensive coverage. When my wife’s windshield needed replacement, I had to pay my $500 deductible for comprehensive and funny enough, the windshield replacement was like $517 total.
Right, I pay $50 for new windshield and $0 for chip repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My insurance AAA does not offer a separate glass coverage :( they say it's apart of my comprehensive coverage which I will have to pay a $500 deductible. I'm going to try and call them to lower my comprehensive deductible to $100. I made an appointment with Safelite and got quoted $343.73. They did give me a disclaimer about needing to take my vehicle to the dealer to get it recalibrated so I'm hoping they put in an OEM glass. Can someone show me the their invoice from safelite? I want to see the part number they use from an OEM glass. I have 2020 outback limited if I didnt mention it yet.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
6 Posts
My insurance AAA does not offer a separate glass coverage :( they say it's apart of my comprehensive coverage which I will have to pay a $500 deductible. I'm going to try and call them to lower my comprehensive deductible to $100. I made an appointment with Safelite and got quoted $343.73. They did give me a disclaimer about needing to take my vehicle to the dealer to get it recalibrated so I'm hoping they put in an OEM glass. Can someone show me the their invoice from safelite? I want to see the part number they use from an OEM glass. I have 2020 outback limited if I didnt mention it yet.

View attachment 485954
May I ask in what area you are located? My 2020 Limited also has a cracked windshield and I'm still debating where to get it fixed. I requested a quote from Safelite and was quoted around $517, not including tax. When I called specifically and asked for OEM, the total quoted price ended up being around $750. I wonder why your quoted price is so much lower than what I was quoted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May I ask in what area you are located? My 2020 Limited also has a cracked windshield and I'm still debating where to get it fixed. I requested a quote from Safelite and was quoted around $517, not including tax. When I called specifically and asked for OEM, the total quoted price ended up being around $750. I wonder why your quoted price is so much lower than what I was quoted.
I'm located in SoCal. Im most likely going to cancel the appointment as I got SOA to replace my windshield under goodwill assistance.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
OEM glass replacement thru Safelite for about $250 as I recall because USAA paid for it; they get a better rate because they pay for so many windshields. USAA also paid for the EyeSight calibration, which at $225 thru the dealer was almost as much as the entire windshield.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT white
53 Posts
I had my windshield on my 2020 Onyx replaced today by Safelite after a rock chip that developed into a crack that went halfway across the windshield. They had a problem finding a windshield but after a week, got an OEM windshield from Denver (about 250 miles away). Safelite could not calibrate the Eyesight because their machine does not have a board for 2020 Outbacks.

I made an appointment with my Subaru dealer for calibration. On my way to the appointment, the dealer service manager called and asked if my Eyesight was working. He said that if the adaptive cruise control worked, it did not need calibration. Mine was working and my car slowed down and stopped behind the car in front of me without any input from me.

I asked if the 2020's re-calibrated themselves. He said that they do not. He said that the only time calibration is required is if the Eyesight cameras are moved or damaged by an accident. Simple windshield replacement does not change the camera adjustment so calibration was not required in my car. The Eyesight system has internal checks and, if something is wrong, it will warn you and adaptive cruise control will not work.

I respect my dealer for not charging me for unnecessary calibration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh wow. My dealer is charging me $465 to recalibrate eyesight. I hope they actually do it and not just replace the windshield and say "Eyesight was recalibrated"

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I had my windshield on my 2020 Onyx replaced today by Safelite after a rock chip that developed into a crack that went halfway across the windshield. They had a problem finding a windshield but after a week, got an OEM windshield from Denver (about 250 miles away). Safelite could not calibrate the Eyesight because their machine does not have a board for 2020 Outbacks.

I made an appointment with my Subaru dealer for calibration. On my way to the appointment, the dealer service manager called and asked if my Eyesight was working. He said that if the adaptive cruise control worked, it did not need calibration. Mine was working and my car slowed down and stopped behind the car in front of me without any input from me.

I asked if the 2020's re-calibrated themselves. He said that they do not. He said that the only time calibration is required is if the Eyesight cameras are moved or damaged by an accident. Simple windshield replacement does not change the camera adjustment so calibration was not required in my car. The Eyesight system has internal checks and, if something is wrong, it will warn you and adaptive cruise control will not work.

I respect my dealer for not charging me for unnecessary calibration.
I mentioned in a different thread that this was the reason it would be calibrated - because of removal of the cameras, not to test the replacement glass. No need for calibration if the cameras are left in place.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
302 Posts
Oh wow. My dealer is charging me $465 to recalibrate eyesight. I hope they actually do it and not just replace the windshield and say "Eyesight was recalibrated"
Thats about what I paid. At the end of the day, it cost me $500 as a deductible.

Sucks to have such a fragile windscreen on such a great car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts