Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Folks, my wife & I have been interested in buying an Outback for well over a year now. We have hesitated due to a short list of well known issues. The unusual number of broken Outback windshields has been a showstopper, and they appear to be a problem over the past several years.

Kev (or any other mod that is reading this comment), could we set up a poll to see how many forum members have had broken windshields? I'd like to see if this is a real problem.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Folks, my wife & I have been interested in buying an Outback for well over a year now. We have hesitated due to a short list of well known issues. The unusual number of broken Outback windshields has been a showstopper, and they appear to be a problem over the past several years.

Kev (or any other mod that is reading this comment), could we set up a poll to see how many forum members have had broken windshields? I'd like to see if this is a real problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I woke up and noticed my windshield has a crack on it :( What is the chance Subaru replaces the windshield under warranty? I called SOA and was told that if the dealer finds the crack was not caused by an impact, they will replace it under warranty. Do you think the crack was caused by an impact? I attached some pictures.

View attachment 485938 View attachment 485939 View attachment 485940
Hey, my outback developed a crack in the exact same place, with the exact same little divot in it, while I was sitting in it not moving. The dealership also told me that I must have been hit by a rock, but I'm calling shenanigans on that and contacting Subaru directly. I'll let you know what happens if you like.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
8 Posts
Mine just cracked during a drive as well. I'm fairly positive there wasn't an impact since there weren't any other vehicles around for several hundred feet. This is pretty disheartening for a vehicle that is only 4 weeks old...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bring it to the dealer - they will run a ballpoint pen up the crack if there's no mark of an impact (the pen rolls smoothly) then they'll cover the windshield under warranty.

I had a rock hit mine - the dealer showed me it was right at the edge - but sure enough, an impact chip.

The windows are thinner these days - lighter that way. I"m tempted to see if I can put a clear-plastic film over the lower few inches (beneath the wipers) to protect it a bit more.

·
Registered
20 Onyx XT, 14 Premium
36 Posts
I called SOA and plead my case and they decided to replace under goodwill assistance. I mentioned the countless reports on NHTSA and the class-action lawsuit. I told them this was my first Subaru and I'm highly disappointed etc etc.
That's great!

I didn't (don't?) know if this is a widespread problem.

Soon after we brought my wife's brand new 4th Gen home in 2014, we noticed a super tiny chip right in the driver's line of sight. Must have pre-existed and been overlooked during the test drive. Subaru replaced it for free without issue, but that was 6 years ago (and no EyeSight). No repeat cracks or issues in the almost 100k miles since then.

My new '20 also had one issue right off the lot (tire pressure sensors), and that was also immediately corrected by the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey, my outback developed a crack in the exact same place, with the exact same little divot in it, while I was sitting in it not moving. The dealership also told me that I must have been hit by a rock, but I'm calling shenanigans on that and contacting Subaru directly. I'll let you know what happens if you like.
I called SOA and they took care of me, They gave me 1k towards the repair so I only had to pay $75 out of pocket.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
8 Posts
I wanted to follow up and say that SOA is taking care of me as well. It definitely seems like they know these windshields are unusually weak.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts