Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished a big road trip yesterday. While washing my brand new OB, I noticed a small knick in windshield. P***enger side. By night, the knick had was an eight-of-an-inch crack. I woke up this morning to a crack a foot wide across the windshield.

Anyone with any experience with this sort of problem? Any advice on who will fix? Does the dealer do this kind of work? I have the heated windshield - will that cause problems? The crack is to big to fix I think - probably will have to completely replace. Everyone is closed today, so I come to all of you.

Luckily, Florida has a law that says insurance must provide 100% gl*** coverage with no deductible.

I'm not thrilled with this situation - less than 3000 miles and this!!! Darn those 18-wheelers....

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
OneOBS said:
I would NOT let the dealer touch it. Find a windshield replacement company and have them do it with a Subaru windshield.
I would agree--I just did not know about the heated thing. Speaking of which, Subarus seem to have notoriously "fragile" windshields (mine, for example, has several annoying surface scratches). Do these replacement companies offer "stronger--at least better--than stock" windshields for Subies?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yes it is a very fragile windshield. The same thing happened to mine and the nick that caused it was too small for me to see. The next morning it was cracked from side to side.

If the crack is anything bigger then about a the size of a quarter, it is too big to get repaired.

I was lucky, my dealer replaced my windshield for free because I complained that this was very unusual to crack like that overnight from such a small nick. The dealer acutally did a very good job with the windshield. You cannot tell it was replaced and there is no wind noise.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I posted this over on the Turbo board and then realized it might get more play over here. Sorry for the double post (not really).

Windshield scratches

I've got a series of long (maybe a foot or so) hairline scratches on the surface of my windshield--most likely the result of scraping the endless amounts of snow and ice this winter. They run opposite to the wipers, so I know it is not a result of grit caught under the blades.

Generally these are not even noticeable, but when I drive into the sun or oncoming headlights, they are decidedly apparent.

Any way to rid myself of them (without replacing the entire glass)?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mudge said:
I posted this over on the Turbo board and then realized it might get more play over here. Sorry for the double post (not really).

Windshield scratches

I've got a series of long (maybe a foot or so) hairline scratches on the surface of my windshield--most likely the result of scraping the endless amounts of snow and ice this winter. They run opposite to the wipers, so I know it is not a result of grit caught under the blades.

Generally these are not even noticeable, but when I drive into the sun or oncoming headlights, they are decidedly apparent.

Any way to rid myself of them (without replacing the entire glass)?
Post *****!!!

No worries, you'll be changing the windshield real soon anyway :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing