Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Outback Limited and a small rock hit my windshield on I 75N the other day. Today, I have a 12 in linear crack and have scheduled Safelite Glass Repair to replace it on Monday. It is about $514 for them to come to my office to do it. Is there any down side to using them? Quality of glass? I know I have to have the safety features recalibrated at a Subaru dealer but just wanted to check to see if any owners have comments on this? Thanks, Frank

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

What is the difference between OEM and OEE auto glass?
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) auto glass is made by the same manufacturer as your original glass. Original Equipment Equivalent (OEE) auto glass is made to the same standards, but by a different manufacturer. Our customers can choose OEM or OEE prior to service by calling 877-664-8931.
Our auto glass meets or exceeds all federal, industry and safety standards, and we engage in some of the most rigorous product testing in the industry.
I would ensure that they are using OEM glass, not OEE. I have heard that Subaru may refuse to calibrate eyesight with non-OEM glass. I would hope that for Eyesight, Safelite would know this and only use OEM glass, but I would verify with them in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful and I will call them about OEM glass before I schedule. As an aside, since I travel up and down I 75 N/S every two weeks, I may just hold off until my travels are done. The crack is low on the passenger side about 7 inches long so it is not in my field of vision. I just hate the damage on my new 2020 Outback with 4700 miles on it but with so much traffic on I 75 it could happen again. (400 miles each way; Albany Ga to Knoxville, TN)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I checked with my insurance company (Geico) and they say that the windshield AND CALIBRATION are included under my policy. You may want to check with yours. In the past I have paid out of pocket for things that would have been covered by insurance.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
318 Posts
I would be shocked if they didn’t cover recalibration. I’d also be very surprised if there was already a source for non-oem glass this early in the product cycle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2020 Outback Limited and a small rock hit my windshield on I 75N the other day. Today, I have a 12 in linear crack and have scheduled Safelite Glass Repair to replace it on Monday. It is about $514 for them to come to my office to do it. Is there any down side to using them? Quality of glass? I know I have to have the safety features recalibrated at a Subaru dealer but just wanted to check to see if any owners have comments on this? Thanks, Frank
I just went through the exact same thing. I also used Safelite. I would ask them but as of last week, there were no aftermarket parts. At this point, everything is OEM Subaru parts. They didn't have the software for the 2020 to calibrate the eyesight. I had to go to Subaru. Here in Albuquerque the dealers wanted $300-$400 for that. I drove to Santa Fe to the dealer where I bought the car and it was $153 for the recalibration. I have had good luck with Safelite.
Good Luck!
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scheduled mobile repair 17 Feb with OEM glass. $752.97 Car will have to be re-calibrated by Subaru at my cost. fhw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went through the exact same thing. I also used Safelite. I would ask them but as of last week, there were no aftermarket parts. At this point, everything is OEM Subaru parts. They didn't have the software for the 2020 to calibrate the eyesight. I had to go to Subaru. Here in Albuquerque the dealers wanted $300-$400 for that. I drove to Santa Fe to the dealer where I bought the car and it was $153 for the recalibration. I have had good luck with Safelite.
Good Luck!
Mike
I am calling my Subaru dealer in Columbus, Ga. as I write this to find out their cost for calibration. Thanks for the info. Frank

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
291 Posts
I followed the recommendation of both my dealer and my insurance company (USAA) and used Safelite. The Safelite guy came to the dealer"s shop and put in the windshield, then the dealer checked the calibration, everything was OK. I paid the deductible to the dealer, insurance covered the calibration. It only took a few hours and they gave me a new Forester to drive while my car was in the shop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because I drive up and down I 75N which is "trucker alley" and put 25,000 miles per year doing it, I have decided to forgo replacing the windshield for the chances of another stone hitting the windshield are significant. Once my travels are done, I will get it fixed. The crack is on the passenger side low about 6-8 inches long. If it propagates further and is a safety or visibility issue, then I will repair it. As an aside, I had the front of the vehicle protected with the Xpel ultimate clear coating; not cheap but really like the protection it affords the paint and front of the vehicle. (front, hood, fenders, mirrors, and pillars) Thank you for all the informative posts. It really helped. Frank

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
264 Posts
Curious, for those that had to have the eyesight calibrated, does the dealership give you any type of"before/after" measurements or specs or just let you know "yep it's good"?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Curious, for those that had to have the eyesight calibrated, does the dealership give you any type of"before/after" measurements or specs or just let you know "yep it's good"?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Don't know. I watched them plug in a laptop. After a few minutes they said it's all set. I don't know if they actually get data. And FWIW, one glass installer told me it didn't need calibrated since we were using OEM glass. I used OEM glass and was getting Eyesight error codes until it was recalibrated. Its fine now.
MIke

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
It does not alway need to be calibrated. I don t know what determine that though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As someone has taken an eye wateringly high amount of classes on this stuff. Every piece of glass has different optical qualities and at least needs to have the calibration checked. Anyone saying otherwise is flat out wrong.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
Safellite stated some need and some don t as far as calibration. Don t know how they check on site ?

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
wonder if it would show up in the dash if it s NOT calibrated like it does in bad snow etc?
and if that s the test?

·
Registered
318 Posts
It may or it may not. It could be calibrated sub-optimally but within spec technically. It could also throw an error.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts