Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
friend of mine had windshield replaced by safellite and they said it was fine as far as calibration . No flashing dash. so that s it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It is probably worth your dealer checking the calibration after install. In Columbus, Ga Subaru it is $135 to check/calibrate.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
80 Posts
I had a 2015 Outback and had 2 wind shields replaced. Never had anything re calibrated, eyesight system worked fine..

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
787 Posts
friend of mine had windshield replaced by safellite and they said it was fine as far as calibration . No flashing dash. so that s it?
I haven't had to have my 2020 OB's windshield replaced yet (knock on glass....), but when I had my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid's windshield replaced, Safelite had the ability in-house to do the calibration. Their system supports the calibration of multiple brands, although I can't say for sure that they support Subaru calibration. (The Honda system uses a single camera (aimed through the windshield), plus a grille-mounted radar of some kind. So it is not the same as EyeSight.)

I guess I'd have queried the Safelite person a bit more, to know if they meant that the calibration was "fine" because they actually DID the calibration, or it just meant that no problems were seen after windshield replacement, even though no calibration was done....

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
95 Posts
I'm an engineer in the optics industry and work with the most high-precision optical filters in the world. I see transmission scans every day, scanned on some of the most precise spectrophotometers out there as well. There's no way the Eyesight cameras are anywhere near as sensitive. Unless the OEM windshields are made in some guy's basement with lots of contaminants, and the manufacturing tolerances are extremely loose, I very, very highly doubt that the Eyesight system can tell any difference at all. I think it's more of a CYA liability and money maker deal for Subaru.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've replaced the windshield on my 2020 OB XT. I had Safelite do it - their glass was top-quality as was their installation. Granted it was the technician talking to me but he said if the area by the eyesight camera's isn't messed up and - as he showed me - he totally avoided even touching them when he replaced the glass, he said that he'd heard that re-calibration wasn't needed.

I can already say that the eyesight-auto-braking system is working fine as it avoided a near-rear-ender without a problem - and the other give-away is if the lane-centering doesn't hold you in the center of the lane then the camera's may be out of sync (mine is great). I'm thinking its a liability thing like said above - it is just 2 camera's that track what they see - unless there was a distortion right where the camera is, I'm thinking it's not needed.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
8 Posts
I would check with your insurance (anyones) to make sure they cover calibration. I don't trust safelite further than I throw them, they are well known for getting junk windshields and sloppy installs
Lots of lawsuits. no one knows if calibration is really needed but a oem windshield is probably a must otherwise the dealer won't or can't calibrate if needed

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
291 Posts
I would check with your insurance (anyones) to make sure they cover calibration. I don't trust safelite further than I throw them, they are well known for getting junk windshields and sloppy installs
Lots of lawsuits. no one knows if calibration is really needed but a oem windshield is probably a must otherwise the dealer won't or can't calibrate if needed
As previoualy posted, Mine was replaced by Safelite, the windshield they installed is a Subaru windshield. The Safelite installer did the installation at the Subaru dealer and the Technician checked the Eyesight system as soon as they finished. The dealer took care of the insurance claim which was paid in full minus my $100 deductible. That was almost two years ago and I have had no problems. They provided a new Forester for me while they were doing the installation. So, maybe it depends on where you live and what dealer you go to, might also depend on who your insurance company is.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I just had a fair sized stone hit my windshield. In all, I have had about 4-5 fairly large stones hit the windshield so far but not one has left any discernible mark on the glass.
Sounds like you have strong glass?

I have a few tiny nicks, presumably from small strikes on my windshield, but no sign of actual cracking. I can only tell they're there when I clean the glass and there's about two tiny pits smaller than a grain of sand.

Not sure why some windshields seem to crack like they're just waiting for an excuse, and others seem to be not as vulnerable. Is there that much variation in glass batches?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,985 Posts
Sounds like you have strong glass?

I have a few tiny nicks, presumably from small strikes on my windshield, but no sign of actual cracking. I can only tell they're there when I clean the glass and there's about two tiny pits smaller than a grain of sand.

Not sure why some windshields seem to crack like they're just waiting for an excuse, and others seem to be not as vulnerable. Is there that much variation in glass batches?
Either differences in glass or may be the surrounding structure and/or gluing putting stress on the windshield.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
20 Posts
I had the windshield on my 2020 replaced in early March by Safelite as recommended by my insurance company. They used OEM Subaru glass, and they did the recalibration in-house. B/C I waited for the car, they kept updating me as to the progress; for the calibration, they told me they had to communicate with Subaru - both via the calibration software (I got the impression it was Subaru's calibration software that Safelite had to access and then input my car's info/calibration in to), and then via a follow-up phone call. Not entirely sure this is true, but Safelite said that Subaru had to "OK" the calibration prior to releasing the car. Pretty sure it was a CYA for both Safelite and/or Subaru? In looking at my receipt, Safelite charged $500 for "dual method Recal Service."

Anyway, eyesight works as before the replacement. Now just hoping I got a "strong" windshield this time like chvvkumar and SilverOnyx! My old windshiled was one of those that cracked w/out any noticeable impacts to it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
110 Posts
Had my 2018 Outback windshield replaced about a year ago. Subaru dealer recommend a local glass dealer and the order a Subaru windshield and did it at the dealer. They said calibration was not needed..seems to be ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Limited
4 Posts
Does anyone know if calibration of the eyesight has to be done at the time on windshield replacement or if it can be done later?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
89 Posts
It can be done later, but if it is out of calibration, your EyeSight might end up disabled until you get it calibrated.

·
Registered
2020 Limited
4 Posts
so just to confirm, i talked to someone in the service department of a nearby subaru dealer and they stated that the calibration has to be done at the time of installation - they are wrong yes? they said the eyesight can be reset or re-"flashed" later but that calibration has to be done at the time of installation. I called safelite and they said calibration can be done after as well. just wanted to confirm with people on the forum.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Magnetite Grey, 2009 Outback Quartz Silver Metallic
241 Posts
so just to confirm, i talked to someone in the service department of a nearby subaru dealer and they stated that the calibration has to be done at the time of installation - they are wrong yes? they said the eyesight can be reset or re-"flashed" later but that calibration has to be done at the time of installation. I called safelite and they said calibration can be done after as well. just wanted to confirm with people on the forum.
Our windshield broke the first week we had the car; at that point, no calibration units were available for non-dealer calibrations. Regardless, I didn't want my dealer to replace the windshield and so took it to a shop I'm comfortable with for glass replacement.
The dealer was booked for a few days so I drove it without calibration until I could get in. I honestly experienced no difference driving uncalibrated. My point is, yes, it can be calibrated at a later time and by different people than the glass installer.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,838 Posts
I'd imagine if a Subaru dealership has to sign off on the repair, then that means they're saying everything is in proper working order. Unfortunately, just because the ES system doesn't shut down after the new windshield is installed, doesn't mean that everything is perfect with the calibration. While it may be unlikely that the calibration was negatively affected, the only way that Subaru can re-certify it as safe (within specification), is to have it checked. Can it be done later? Of course. But that is obviously against Subaru policy.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts