Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my lady was driving the OBS recently when large rock spit out by truck 2 lanes over hit windshield. Keeraaaack! anyway, glass place is one she's dealt with before and trusts. they tell her that they need to replace windshield gasket too, for an addtl $80 over and above the $160 for windshield.

something abt replacing the gasket in a 3 yr old car that doesn't seem right. anyone able to shed any knowledge on why it might need to be replaced? i went ahead and paid it cuz i didn't want her stuck between me and them on issue, but i'm curious on whether i've just been screwed. thoughts??

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am also curious to see some information on this. My windshield has been leaking since last winter when an SUV :rolleyes: in the fast lane splashed snow slush on my windshield with such force that the whole glass flexed, but not cracked or broke. However, it may have cracked the seal somewhere on top of the windshield where now it constantly drips if the car is parked in the rain. It is annoying. I also realized that accumulated water drips onto the front passenger footwell from behind the dash.

Now, there may be a bunch of electronic ish behind there, and I want to get the leak fixed before something is toasted. In my case, however, I will not have to replace the windshield but the seal itself. The only thing I know about the seal is that it is not the rubber kind of seal of the years of yore, but more like some polyurethane or somethingorother seal that is applied using extreme heat. Since the glass place will have to basically strip all that and apply a brand new seal, $80 doesn't sound like too much. I wish I can get what I need done as cheaply as $80. I was thinking more in the neighborhood of $200.:(

I want to start getting some quotes on this job, and I will post my findings here.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The Impreza windshield gasket is not something that glass companies keep handy. It is expensive, and make sure they know it is one piece. I had my front windshield replaced and they had a **** of a time figuring everything out. I think they had to go thru the dealer for the gasket. Of course, this was 1.5 years ago back when my car was still new! (MY02)...Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for info! now i feel better. (except for the $200 deductible)(perfectly good stereo and hotrodding $, wasted on something so mundane....sigh) :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing