Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Outback has a leak near the washer reservoir. It will entirely drain in a short time and the fluid
can be seen on the ground below the reservoir. I am having a VERY difficult time getting access to determine the
source of the leak. The reservoir is very low and it really doesnt help to remove the battery. To see the area the
plastic boot which is part of the wheel well needs to be removed. Even after this is done the side with the hose connections are
located on the non visible side. Is there a way to remove the reservoir entirely to connect new hoses? Other models
have the reservoir mounted higher. Thanks!!

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
The best way to gain proper access is to remove the bumper cover (face). Once removed, the complete washer tank and hoses should be readily accessible for investigating the leak, part replacement or complete removal. See attached.

It could be a hose that's broken or leaking, or, the tank itself could be leaking, especially if the fluid in it might have frozen.

Be interested in what you find!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! I didnt expect your excellent assistance. I hope to work on it this weekend. I expect the hose is split near the tank. Its not the tank since it doesnt leak until the pumps or on. Then it empties fast below the tank. I replaced the hose up around the windshield but it did not have adequate pressure. Thanks again!! I live in Florida so never frozen tank!

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
Thank you very much! I didnt expect your excellent assistance. I hope to work on it this weekend. I expect the hose is split near the tank. Its not the tank since it doesnt leak until the pumps or on. Then it empties fast below the tank. I replaced the hose up around the windshield but it did not have adequate pressure. Thanks again!! I live in Florida so never frozen tank!
Let us know how it turns out. If you can, take photos and post here; might help others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the two short hose lengths between the pumps and the nearby hose retainer. Its possible the sharp wire tie edge cut one of the hoses(see photo).
I had to lower one side of the bumper for access. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Washer hose replacement

I replaced the two short lengths of hose between the pumps and the nearby hose retainer clip. There is a plastic cover over the pumps and hose
attachment point which is removed with two clips. Note the photo showing the sharp wire tie that cut the hose. I trimmed it off flush so that it
will not cut the hose. The retainer clip had one hose coupling and I added another. Thanks for the help. Now to work on the AC!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
Great photos; provide a clear view of the pumps and tubing path.

Did you find the actual cut/break in the hose that caused the leaking?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hose was brittle and broken above where my hand is located.(front washer)
I had previously replaced a short section up by the window and thought that was the problem.
Up there it was was brittle and split.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
95 Posts
Thanks to you both. Doing this job tomorrow. It's the same symptoms, only leaking under pressure.

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
I did basically the same thing, but it is leaking higher up the wheel well. What's the best way to get to this section of tubing to replace. Right now I'm pumping 10x the washer fluid to the ground than the front window. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean
95 Posts
I did basically the same thing, but it is leaking higher up the wheel well. What's the best way to get to this section of tubing to replace. Right now I'm pumping 10x the washer fluid to the ground than the front window. Thanks for the help!
The hose is a pain to get to. Comes up to the washer from an inaccessible area near the firewall. I just bypassed it with a new hose that comes up from the pump near the battery and runs along the top of the inner fender and back to the original connection. You still have to take the bumper off to get to the pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts